Xtract 2.\..\inetsrv - Not Qchain

Lo peeps....need spot of advice, try ankeep it kinda n00b-friendly as i'm still pretty new to these techniques.

I've got an unattended install of XP that i've been tweakin up, only it has the mid-way pause where it asks ya to specify the folder for extraction.

Havin searched this site a bit, every1 seems to point at QCHAIN.exe...but i aint this phile is not located anywhere on me disk.

help...

many thanx if any1 can.

snakefood

Do this:

1. Wait for the dialog-box you describe, to appear.

2. Press the key-combination "Shift+F10" to enter debug-mode in setup.

3. At the command prompt that appears, type the command "tasklist".

4. See the names of the programs being run.

5. By now, you would either know which app-installer (file name) is giving you the above-described issue.

Otherwise, note down the names of the processes (the output of the command "tasklist") and post it here in this thread - and we'd be able to help you in a more meaningful manner.

After the problem is solved, do be sure to post back about how you resolved it (let us all know how to tackle a similar problem in future).

I get the command prompt ok, except when i use the tasklist command i get: ERROR: Critical Error.

Could this b because i'm using VMWare?

I ave got a copy of Virtual PC around ere somewhere, might it work better on that?

usually install will pause at this stage and ask you what folder you want to extract files to, because:

you have not extracted qchain.exe properly.... you are running the self-extracting download from microsoft.... before you make next copy of your cd, run qchain yourself, it will ask you where to extract, put it somewhere, then overwrite the qchain.exe you have on your cd (you just ran it) with the new one (you know what i mean?)

i've never seen it pause to ask an extraction question apart from qchain... are you running any service packs? (through svcpack.inf)?

I get the command prompt ok, except when i use the tasklist command i get: ERROR: Critical Error.

Could this b because i'm using VMWare?

I have got a copy of Virtual PC around here somewhere, might it work better on that?

No, vmware/vpc2004 shouldn't make a difference, 'coz at this stage they have no role to play.

Are you sure you did not eliminate taskkill.exe in any way (or did you use nLite on MSFN forums to slim down your install-CD)?

Well then, let's try this instead:

instead of running "tasklist" try running "taskmgr".

That will (try to) bring up the normal, GUI, familiar Task Manager.

IMPORTANT:

Is this being tried by you on XP Pro or is it Home edition ?

Are you sure you did not eliminate taskkill.exe in any way (or did you use nLite on MSFN forums to slim down your install-CD)?
Not sure, the disk is one that somebody else started and i'm tweaking.
Well then, let's try this instead:

instead of running "tasklist" try running "taskmgr".

That will (try to) bring up the normal, GUI, familiar Task Manager

will do - report back soon with result

Think i may have aquired another image which boots clean so may simply add all me appz to that 1, still wanna solve this tho as will b good to find out what ir is.

IMPORTANT:

Is this being tried by you on XP Pro or is it Home edition ?

Pro.

Well...i tried it, but didn't work.

Gonna put it down to an incorrectly made image, i've since started using another one and is all workin nice.

jus gotta sort out a few more small details now.....no doubt i'll b calling for help again soon.

Many thanx for ya time.