Info on Win98 unattended install

Rexx72

I'm a newbie to this scripting stufff...

I'm trying to make a unattended install CD for win98 + the updates and some programs.

(I provide support for a lot of people running win98 boxes (usually after a serious viral infection) and i'm tired of looking at the setup screen just to push a few buttons)

here's my wish list for the CD

- Boot and Fdisk

(should be able to find something with command line switches to include in a batch file) (Done - see below)

- Reboot & Format automatically (ditto)

- install windows (seems simple enough with msbatch.ini )

- install drivers

(could hit a wobbly here lots of different systems, so would probably have to install manually or ***) (Low Priority)

- install updates, security patches, ie6, directx, etc

(don't forsee any problems, plenty of resources both here and elsewhere)

- install common programs e.g. flash, mozilla, winzip, etc (ditto)

- run a script to automate the setting up of things like DUN, etc. maybe reading from a "answer file" (hope the terminology is correct, all new to me)

I know most of this is possible from some of the posts.

================ (NB!! NB!! How do I do this)==================

I have a problem at the moment of not being able to see the connection, nor know how to construct the *.reg files required to move from the msbatch part to the rest of the process. I have a vague notion that stuff needs to be loaded to the runonce, etc part of the registry.

Could you help me by either;

- Refering me to some online source of info about the format of the reg file you used to achieve the above or

- Perhaps you could let me have a copy of your msbatch & .reg files to look at (I'm sure I could figure it out if i had a complete set at the moment I have no idea what I'm looking for.)

================ (NB!! NB!! How do I do this)==================

I've got the basic part of setting up the msbatch.ini file from the MS articles and have successfully done so, although a lot of the stuff in that article did not seem to be relevant to what i'm trying to do. (best article is here!)

However it seems that the sources of a "lot of info by searching google" about same referred to in posts both here and elsewhere have dried up or point to the MS articles on msbatch.ini

The rest would seem simple enough as there are plenty of examples in other posts of what switches etc to use for the installing updates,etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

*** could I perhaps use the MRU bit in msbatch to refer to Dir created and copied from another (re-writable) cd post format and before install begins. It would seem only chipset drivers are essential before updates and apps are installed.

There is a tool in the reskit folder on the Win98 CD. Msbatch. You can enter all setup options with this, and have a printers pre-installed, plus setup a few IE options. Install it and it will build the msbatch.inf file for you. Copy the win98 directory from the cd and put it on the HD somewhere. Then save the msbatch.inf file to the win98 directory when you are done with it. Now here is where my memory becomes fuzzy, since I haven't done it in so long. There is a 2nd tool in the reskit folder, or you may need to buy the full reskit, I forget what it's called but it let's you pre-install your drivers to the win98 folder you copied. You open the program, point the program to the inf file of the driver, and to the folder you copied of the setup files for 98.

Now, for installing apps... I've never done that with 98, so I can't help you there.

@ Justice

Thanks for the reply. As I said I've got the msbatch & infinst (that's what I think your refering too) things sorted, no problem. Its getting it to move on to the next bit is where I'm becoming unstuck.

@ prathapml

Thanks, I could do with some help. I'm begining to see how much time it takes 16 hours to prep first step, which I'll discuss in my next post.

I've completed my first 2 objectives (and then some), namely;

- Boot and Fdisk

- Reboot & Format automatically

*BRAG* Quite proud of myself actually, 2 days ago I didn't know what a batch file was. *BRAG*

Details

I've modified a win98 boot disk (with which I then create a boot CD) that removes upto 5 Logical Partitions (+ Extended) and 1 Primary. I assume if someones multibooting OSes they won't be needing me to re-install for them so therefor in most cases there would only be one primary partition. It then creates a Primary Partition and formats it, ready to go for the win98 installation.

Details

Changed the config.sys to boot with cd in 3 seconds.

menudefault=CD,3

Changed Autoexec.bat to Set CD to Z: and run my bat file

(used the /f command .com switch so it doesn't get dump to a prompt when it trys to Label a drive that doesn't exist)

LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:Z
and
command /f /c autoform.bat

Modified the edb.cab to included my stuff and the progs for label and choice.

1998/05/06  08:01 PM            15,252 ATTRIB.EXE

1998/05/06  08:01 PM            28,096 CHKDSK.EXE

1998/05/06  08:01 PM            20,554 DEBUG.EXE

1998/05/06  08:01 PM            69,902 EDIT.COM

1998/05/06  08:01 PM            13,299 EXT.EXE

1998/05/06  08:01 PM            49,575 FORMAT.COM

1998/05/06  08:01 PM                36 HELP.BAT

1998/05/06  08:01 PM            25,473 MSCDEX.EXE

1998/05/06  08:01 PM                20 RESTART.COM

1998/05/06  08:01 PM        143,818 SCANDISK.EXE

1998/05/06  08:01 PM          7,329 SCANDISK.INI

1998/05/06  08:01 PM            18,967 SYS.COM

1999/04/23  10:22 PM          9,324 LABEL.EXE

1999/04/23  10:22 PM          5,239 CHOICE.COM

2004/07/06  11:20 PM          2,457 AUTOFORM.BAT

2004/07/05  07:17 AM                13 fdisk2.scr

2004/07/07  08:04 AM                22 fdisk1b.scr

2004/07/07  08:02 AM                80 fdisk3a.scr

2004/07/07  08:02 AM                44 fdisk3b.scr

2004/07/07  07:54 AM                16 fdisk4.scr

2004/07/07  08:03 AM                25 fdisk1.scr

I'm sure my batch file isn't as streamline as it could be.

Had to use a disk in B: (CDrom uses a: for boot) to provide a persisted & changeable data source. Basically I just write files to it to reference where in the process I am, so that the .bat file doesn't repeat itself after rebooting.

.bat file then handles the fdisking to delete partitions, then reboots, fdisks the new partition, reboots and then formats. This disk is not something to leave lying around unmarked!!! (or maybe on the bosses desk. hehehe :rolleyes: )

When I've tested this I disable any 2ndry HDD and CDs

@echo off

REM ================ Check where you are in the process ====================

if exist b:\formatd.one goto END
if exist b:\fdisk2.scr goto FORMAT
if exist b:\fdisk1.scr goto FDISK2
goto QUERY1

REM ==========================Start the process ============================

:QUERY1
echo A - Remove & Recreate Partion, Then Format & Install
echo B - Create Partiton, Then Format & Install
echo C - Format & Install
echo D - Quit

REM Gives you 30 seconds to get out of Dodge
choice /c:abcd /t:a,30
if ERRORLEVEL 4 goto END
if ERRORLEVEL 3 goto MENU3
if ERRORLEVEL 2 goto MENU2
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto FDISK1

REM ============================ Menu Options ===================================

:MENU2
echo done > b:\fdisk1.scr
goto FDISK2

:MENU3
echo done > b:\fdisk2.scr
echo done > b:\fdisk1.scr
goto FORMAT

REM ==========================Killing the Partions================================
REM Handles up to 6 Logical (+ Extended) & 1 Primary (Patched)
:FDISK1

REM Changing all formated Drives labels to DELETE in prep for fdisk

for %%1 in (c d e f g h i) do label %%1:DELETE

copy %RAMD%:\fdisk3a.scr b:\*.*
copy %RAMD%:\fdisk3b.scr b:\*.*
copy %RAMD%:\fdisk4.scr b:\*.*
copy %RAMD%:\fdisk1.scr b:\*.*
copy %RAMD%:\fdisk1b.scr b:\*.*

REM Removing Logical Partitions (whether Formatted & not)
fdisk < b:\fdisk3a.scr
fdisk < b:\fdisk3b.scr
REM Removing Extend Partition
fdisk < b:\fdisk4.scr
REM Removing Primary Partition (whether Formatted & not)
fdisk < b:\fdisk1.scr
fdisk < b:\fdisk1b.scr
del b:\fdisk3a.scr
del b:\fdisk3b.scr
del b:\fdisk4.scr
del b:\fdisk1b.scr
REM only fdisk1.scr remains for checking
restart.com

REM ===========================Partitioning the drive=============================

:FDISK2
copy %RAMD%:\fdisk2.scr b:\*.*
fdisk < b:\fdisk2.scr
restart.com

REM ============================Format The Drive==================================

:FORMAT
format c: /autotest /u
if errorlevel 0 goto SETUP1
echo ********* Problems formating drive *********

goto END

REM =========================Begin Next Stage of Installation=====================

:SETUP1
ECHO Success .... ready to begin setup
Del b:\fdisk1.scr
Del b:\fdisk2.scr
echo done > b:\formatd.one
goto END

:END
rem winsetup.bat

btw Antivirus programs are not keen on the format line. pccillian kept quarantining the file. :) HAHAHA

I'd appreciate any comments and/or suggestions

@moderators I couldn't find anything about length of posts in the rules. Just let me know if I need to split this up or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am actually working on a batchfile enabling to install all the 98 updates at once.

I have the problem, that I don't get the restart after reboot done. How can you determine the cd-rom's drive-letter?

If anyone is interested in the skript, email me.

Regards

Markus

• 4 weeks later...

hi, im new here, and ive been searching on internet how to create a win98se unnatended installation, and thank god i found this thread, i could install Microsoft Batch 98 adn create the file :D

it would be an excellent idea to create a Microsoft Win98SE-ME Unnatended GUIDE and make it sticky, because many many MANY people are still using it today, specially where i work.

im unable to provide a guide or info coz i dont know almost anything about unnatended guides. what do you think?

Hi there,

as many were interested in the script, here's the batch. You have to test it as it contains updates for both Win98 and Win98 SE.

the commands for the batch are as follows:

238453GER8.exe /Q /R:N
245729DE8.exe /Q /R:N
249973GER8.exe /Q /R:N
256015GER8.exe /Q /R:N
259728GER8.exe /Q /R:N
273727GER8.exe /Q /R:N
273991GER8.exe /Q /R:N
274548GER8.exe /Q /R:N
314147GER8.exe /Q /R:N
323172GER8.exe /Q /R:N
323255GER8.exe /Q /R:N
811630GER8.exe /Q /R:N
823559GER8.exe /Q /R:N
js56mde.exe /Q /R:N
q240308.exe /Q /R:N
q313829.exe /Q /R:N
q330994.exe /Q /R:N
q828750.exe /Q /R:N
TelnetUp.exe /Q /R:N

The /Q doesn't give an output to the user, the /R:N prevents from rebooting.

Pack it into a

start /w TelnetUp.exe /Q /R:N

and the batch waits for the first one to terminate before it starts the second one.

This solution still isn't perfect in my opinion but enough for these tasks. I programmed the same in vb, where it seems to be easier to keep an eye on, to keep it up-to-date and to add new hotfixes or other executables.

Cheers

Bookie

• 7 months later...
[quote]hi, does anyone here know about slipstreaming win98se updates? Is it possible?[/quote]

I think the best way to do this (the updates are not removable by the user) is simply to extract the updates into the win98 directory and the windows setup picks up all the updated files from there instead of using the cabs.

I havnt tested this but the method seems to work well in windows 95.

I use a process at work similar to [b]bookie[/b]s which is a collection of large batch file(s).

Parts of it are manually clicked, but its sooooooo much faster than finding the files, loading them, etc.

As we are (well...I am) trying to make the move slowly but surely to having all machines running XP, its kinda making my batch files seem like a a waste of time lol

I plan to work on them some more when i get back to work in just under two weeks but I'm not 100% sure that I'll have any time spare to work on them.

[b]@Rexx72:[/b]

How have you progressed in things since your last post? It'd be handy to hear your thoughts again. Your script for repartitioning, etc was really good and something I have ben meaning to do, but as always, no time or better, more urgent stuff was priority lol

Regards,
N.

• 3 weeks later...
Rexx,

That script looks good to format and partition the drive. My question is what do you save that as and do you run the file from a floppy or place it on the cd along with the needed files to format and fdisk?

I got a batch file to work as I need it and I got the cd booting right away. The only piece of the puzzle I have left is having it automatically partioning the entire drive and formatting it.

Anyones help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Dear Rexx72

it's nice start it could be like Gape's and MDGx's work if u carryon with some help of MDGx's WEB site for all batch,utility,lots of link for this please check the site

[url="http://www.mdgx.com/"]http://www.mdgx.com/[/url]

u can download directly for entire sites help and site description for a single file.

Windows 9x/NT4/2000/ME/XP/2003 + DOS 7.xx/8.00: W95-11D.EXE [1.15 MB] or W95-11D.ZIP [1.25 MB]

Good Work carryon.

That's enough for now.

MSFN Enjoy !!!