Is BitTorent Secure?

Hey. Is Bittorent realy secure? I downloaded Azurerus but didnt install yet. I am a little scared to use it. Cuz once i got warning from my ISP that i downloaded illegal stuff but that was from DC++. Then i switched to another ISP. WELL I need to download Longhorn 4074 Beta, but i don't wanna risk. I am just wondering is it easy to trace what i am doing and downloading with bittorent(azureus)?

I hope it doesn't create LOGs, with what i got caught on dc++!!! I have Westell 2200 DSL Modem, and does any one know does it store logs? And how can I clean them?

And last question. I had Cable before. And I dont know how they scanned my HDD. Who scanned my HDD - MY ISP or 3rd Party? Cuz there was problem when i typed serial in one s***tish program and i got big screen: You've been using pirated key! We got your IP (they realy did) and report to you ISP. Your ISP is ................."

So that's what happened. Who did it that program or my ISP scanned my PC? If ISP didn't so nothing bad, cuz they don't care what I am doing and downloading. All my friends are downloading. I just can get rid of all spywares by reinstalling windows and no-one can trace me then, i mean 3rd party.

P.S. - Sorry Admins, Moders and owner of this forum. Maybe it's not ok that i am posting something like this, with illegal stories. But that's true. WE ALL EXIST OF P2P.

Thanks for reading and spending time.

• 1 year later...

>Is Bittorent realy secure?

If your question is 'can someone see my IP if I use BT?' the answer is yes. BT is intended as a legal file sharing app, so no reason to hide IPs. Specifically in azureus you can go to 'peers' and you will see all the IPs that are connected to you.

>Who scanned my HDD - MY ISP or 3rd Party?

In general ISPs do not monitor or interact with users activities. Most likely what happened was when you tried to register the software it contacted its server to verify the registration key was correct, when it wasn't, it determined your ISP via your IP address, and sent you the scary message.

If you are concerned about people accessing your computer, making sure you have an active firewall is a good first step.

[quote name='Sakhat' date='Jul 4 2004, 02:56 AM']Hey. Is Bittorent realy secure? I downloaded Azurerus but didnt install yet. I am a little scared to use it. Cuz once i got warning from my ISP that i downloaded illegal stuff but that was from DC++. Then i switched to another ISP. WELL I need to download Longhorn 4074 Beta, but i don't wanna risk. I am just wondering is it easy to trace what i am doing and downloading with bittorent(azureus)?

I hope it doesn't create LOGs, with what i got caught on dc++!!! I have Westell 2200 DSL Modem, and does any one know does it store logs? And how can I clean them?

And last question. I had Cable before. And I dont know how they scanned my HDD. Who scanned my HDD - MY ISP or 3rd Party? Cuz there was problem when i typed serial in one s***tish program and i got big screen: You've been using pirated key! We got your IP (they realy did) and report to you ISP. Your ISP is ................."

So that's what happened. Who did it that program or my ISP scanned my PC? If ISP didn't  so nothing bad, cuz they don't care what I am doing and downloading. All my friends are downloading. I just can get rid of all spywares by reinstalling windows and no-one can trace me then, i mean 3rd party.

P.S. - Sorry Admins, Moders and owner of this forum. Maybe it's not ok that i am posting something like this, with illegal stories. But that's true. WE ALL EXIST OF P2P.

Thanks for reading and spending time.
[right][post="148710"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

do you really need lh?
If you really need it I could point you to some ftps, but that might violate the rules.
/me goes to check the rules...

If you are so scared of d/l'ing stuff via BT Client. Go and get Peer Guardian 2. it will for the most part protect you from Gov, Ads, Schools, that are tracking ppl. You can find it on various places on the web, but you can go to [url="http://methlabs.org"]http://methlabs.org[/url] and get a spyware copy for free.

If you are so scared of downloading illegal files, then don't do it. You don't need to download Longhorn, just like I don't need the money sitting in the 7-eleven cash register.

If you are asking for help on how not to get caught, then I won't give it to you. The only way not to ever get caught is not to do it in the first place.

So you know, your ISP knows everything you are doing. They usually don't care, until someone says they will sue them. When they present evidence that shows that it was most likely you, then they will investigate, and eventually shut you off. They can see where you go, and what you do.

Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time.