Registry Tweaks, Part-1

Hello,

I've readed a lot of topics, but I can't find the right registry tweak that I want to:

-> Control panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance -> Settings:

"Show shadows under menu's"

This option I want to have it DISABLED. I've searched in the following key, but I can't discover the right one:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects]

Is there anybody who can help me?

P.S. I hope the translation is right, because I'm using the Dutch version :) .

Anyone??? :rolleyes:

Edited by WARTHOG

Can anybody tell me what is the tweak that turned off the recently run program tracking in my start menu? I copied some tweaks and I thought I understood all of them but I somehow turned this feature off and I would like to get it back again. Thanks in advance.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Start_MinMFU"=dword:00000001

The value should reflect the number of Most fequently used programs you want displayed.

That is set to 10 but the Start Menu does not show any programs on the left side other than the ones I have "pinned".

Well, I set mine to one and that was the value I exported from my registry. Not that it matters as you need to set it to your preference. A value of ten would be 0000000a. Or do you mean yours is set to 10?

At what point during the installation are you importing your tweaks?

Well, I set mine to one and that was the value I exported from my registry. Not that it matters as you need to set it to your preference. A value of ten would be 0000000a. Or do you mean yours is set to 10?

At what point during the installation are you importing your tweaks?

Mine is set to decimal of 10 and hexadecimal of 0000000A. Plus, this is set in the Start Menu options where it also shows ten. There has to be something else. Somehow, somewhere, I have turned off the tracking.

I imported my regtweak.reg file manually after the unattended install is over. I have the following tweak commented out:

;Remove Frequent Programs List from the Start Menu 
;[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
;"NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList"=dword:00000001
;
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
;"NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList"=dword:00000001

I figured that would be what would do it, but again, I do not import that and I double checked my reg file and these entrys are not there.

Here's a tweak I've not seen mentioned previously:

;Disable 'Send administrative alert' found in Control Panel-- System-- Advanced-- Startup and Recovery
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CrashControl]
"SendAlert"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl]
"SendAlert"=dword:00000000

My completed tweak file can be found HERE. It's heavily commented, should prove useful for noobs. Like me. :)

De nada, snakefood. I should mention that I import the tweaks at the 12 minute mark AND after first boot. Some of the tweaks are merely cosmetic, for example, placing a check mark in a TweakUI interface box even though a different tweak actually changes the system setting, if that makes sense. Lots of folks are commenting in this thread about tweaks that are "applied" but do not work. The tweak might actually NOT be implemented just because the box is checked. In my experience, anyway.

I should mention that I import the tweaks at the 12 minute mark AND after first boot.

That's a sure method to make sure your tweaks are retained. :)

Most HKEY_CURRENT_USER Settings will not stick if applied after the first logon. When Windows is shutting down, the original settings that were loaded during logon will be written back to the registry when logging off, overwriting any settings you imported.

I don't think I've seen this registry tweak anywhere yet...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management]
"ShowUpdates"=dword:00000001

This will check the "Show Updates" checkbox on Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP SP2.