Registry Tweaks, Part-1

Hey Markymoo,

You are correct when you say that we need to get our heads together and do this..

Any ultimate tweak file requires lots of time and collective effort and its definately not a one day project..

But there are some things to be taken into consideration, I mean its not possible to include every possible tweak just because it exists.. Not possible as in not necessary.. Agreed a simple tweak like changing the ie homepage is nice, but that way, there are thousands of simple 'tweaks' which are nothing but simple settings.. I mean that way considering the large number of settings in ie, should we include all the possible options in the reg file? And ie is just one program.. Then theres outlook, messenger, office, this that etc, all of whose settings can be changed thru the registry.. My point being- How far do we go? Wheres the limit in such cases?

As for my tweak file itself, its being updated constantly, and now is much different than the one posted over here.. (check tinyurl.com/3du8n)

Its just a beginning, but hey its definately not the end!

About the new thread, I think that the following system should be followed:

1) The first post contains all the latest updated tweaks in a .reg format (attachment)

2) The post should include details like when last updated, most recent modifications, and who was the contributor(s) for the last few tweaks, and if there are any major changes/corrections etc

3) Anyone who replies with a new tweak/modification suggestion, it should be reviewed, and if its suitable and working, can then be included into the regfile. The first post is subsequently updated, and the post which contained the new tweak should be preferrably deleted (by the mod) so as to keep the thread clean. Its no use keeping the replies to the first post with hundreds of individual tweaks as the details would be included in the first post itself.. I mean, look at the current registry tweaks sticky- its in such a big mess.. I'td be preferrable if that thread were to be replaced by this one..

--

And about the program to export the tweaks, I had already thought about it while making my tweaks file.. I had already started on the program but its currently paused cause I'm busy these days.. I'll resume work on the program after a week. It would have features like a main central tweaks file, like a database, which the program is able to parse thru, the interface to the regfile will be a gui similar to most tweaking programs, with some options checked by default according to the system config, of course the main feature is exporting the regfile, it can also apply the tweaks like other programs, and another feature would be autoupdating of the main internal tweak database..

----

P.S: That shared documents tweak does work for me though :)

Whats the point of compiling if they dont work.

taken from [deXter] ultimate tweak list

;Remove Shared Documents from My Computer

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}]

but this one does work from another source.

;Remove Shared Documents from My Computer

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoSharedDocuments"=dword:00000001

You mean the first tweak didn't work for you? Well it did just fine on my WinXP SP1. Testing might be needed on different OSs before stating the tweak as a general one, or make a note on what OS it really does the job.

I dunno if anyone has posted this before (lotta pages to scan through i cbf) so here is my icon registry file :)

icons.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Administrative Tools Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524153}\DefaultIcon]
@="AdminTools.ico"

; Audio CD Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0DF44EAA-FF21-4412-828E-260A8728E7F1}]
@="AudioCD.ico"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\AudioCD\DefaultIcon]
@="AudioCD.ico"

; AVI File Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AVIFile\DefaultIcon]
@="AVIFile.ico"

; Batch File (CMD File) Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\batfile\DefaultIcon]
@="CMDFile.ico"

; Bitmap Image Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\BMP\DefaultIcon]
@="Bitmap.ico"

; CDROM Icon
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0DF44EAA-FF21-4412-828E-260A8728E7F1}]
@="CDROM.ico"

; Desktop Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}\DefaultIcon]
@="Desktop.ico"

; Dialup Networking
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{7007ACC7-3202-11D1-AAD2-00805FC1270E}\DefaultIcon]
@="Dialup.ico"

; Email Icons
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Hotmail\DefaultIcon]
@="Email.ico"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook\DefaultIcon]
@="Email.ico"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\DefaultIcon]
@="Email.ico"

; Entire Network
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2559a1f0-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon]
@="Network.ico"

; Internet Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3DC7A020-0ACD-11CF-A9BB-00AA004AE837}\DefaultIcon]
@="Internet.ico"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{FBF23B42-E3F0-101B-8488-00AA003E56F8}\DefaultIcon]
@="Internet.ico"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\DefaultIcon]
@="Internet.ico"

; Find Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{2559a1f0-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon]
@="Find.ico"

; Font Files Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\fonfile\DefaultIcon]
@="Fontfile.ico"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\otffile\DefaultIcon]
@="Fontfile.ico"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ttffile\DefaultIcon]
@="Fontfile.ico"

; Font Folder (Control Panel) Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524152}\DefaultIcon]
@="Fonts.ico"

; GIF Image
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\giffile\DefaultIcon]
@="GIFfile.ico"

; Help Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{2559a1f1-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon]
@="Help.ico"

; History Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{FF393560-C2A7-11CF-BFF4-444553540000}\DefaultIcon]
@="History.ico"

; INI File (Settings) Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\inifile\DefaultIcon]
@="INIfile.ico"

; Media Clip Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MPlayer\DefaultIcon]
@="Media.ico"

; Movie Clip Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WMVFile\DefaultIcon]
@="Movie.ico"

; MPEG File Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mpegfile\DefaultIcon]
@="MPEGfile.ico"

; My Computer Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]
@="MyComp.ico"

; My Documents Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}\DefaultIcon]
@="MyDocs.ico"

; My Network Places Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]
@="NetPlaces.ico"

; Network Neighborhood Icon
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]
@="Nethood.ico"

; Quicktime File Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\QuickTime.mov\DefaultIcon]
@="Quicktime.ico"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\QuickTime.qt\DefaultIcon]
@="Quicktime.ico"

; Recycle Bin Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\DefaultIcon]
@="Full.ico"
"Empty"="Empty.ico"
"Full"="Full.ico"

; Run Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{2559a1f3-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}\DefaultIcon]
@="Run.ico"

; Scanners and Cameras Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}\DefaultIcon]
@="Cameras.ico"

; Scheduled Tasks Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}\DefaultIcon]
@="Schedule.ico"

; Subscriptions Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{F5175861-2688-11d0-9C5E-00AA00A45957}\DefaultIcon]
@="Subscriptions.ico"

; Text File Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\txtfile\DefaultIcon]
@="Txtfile.ico"

; Web Folders Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{88C6C381-2E85-11D0-94DE-444553540000}\DefaultIcon]
@="WebFolder.ico"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{BDEADF00-C265-11d0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}\DefaultIcon]
@="Webfolder.ico"

; Write Document (RTF) Icon
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Word.RTF.8\DefaultIcon]
@="RTF.ico"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\wrifile\DefaultIcon]
@="RTF.ico"

:)

Yes it takes effort just like yourself[deXter] have put in the effort and look at the rewards,benefits. Whatever it is its better than this tangled mess. Making a start now is good. If we start setting standards everything will fall into place. Our wishes could all be put on one main website but we can do all from here. Look at Kelly's corner its not all .reg files but .vbs too. Setting the standard from the beginning is the key.

How tedious is it to look through a big list to find a tweak. Better to have attachments.

This is one idea. We have 2 threads+.....

One with a tested approved reg file with all the tweaks in one file to download. This can include great essential common tweaks everybody needs. Then below that we have the listings of each individual reg tweak for that file so people can just grab cetain ones. All of these have been tested and moderated and updated from the experimental thread i discuss now. We then have another thread thats experimental where all tweaks get tested. Members can post there tweaks here definately not giant lists and not tweaks that are already tested better as a attachment so posts are reduced. We just have reg tweaks nothing else. If people want to post there comments they do it in another thread. Consider the amount of time people come here to look for a tweak and then times that by how many pages they look at thats alot of hours wasted. We can also have a thread for not so demanding tweaks off the wall freaks(tweaks).

Yes theres thousands of tweak monitor registry etc. but 80% want the same tweak either turned on or off. Theres a set number that all want. we can have an ie thread, an office thread. how far do we go...? We can list all the explorer settings in 1 thread all the ie in another as these are big reg exports but include lots of tweaks. There are a thread to themselves.

@[deXter] Thinking the same. Your list for one is covering alot already. Looking through the threads there can't be much more left to get. Alot being duplicated 10x. Theres only so many nt services etc.

Get this going well then we can worry about software later.

Heres a program im using at the minute its Active Registry Monitor takes 2 snapshots of the registry a before and after and compares them. Dosen't take long to find your needed tweak setting in the registry.

p.s. apologies theres no reg tweaks in this post but i don't think i can make it worse.

Nice Ideas Markymoo!

However we would be requiring a whole new forum for that! Lets see now...

One thread for all the main tweaks only

Another thread for software tweaks

A seperate thread for experimental, individual (submitted) tweaks

One thread exclusively for comments and discussions

The main thread would contain a listing of all the tweaks, according to order. The listings themselves would be linked to the actual tweaks (.reg) hosted somewhere. (like at kellys) Then there could be a single attachment that would contain the ultimate tweaks list. This way, it would be very easy to find, browse and maintain the tweaks list instead of just having multiple posts with attachments..

Preferably the new forum should be seperate from this one (unattended windows), but there could be a single link here that would point to the regtweaks forum.

Are the admins/mods listening?

---

Heres a program im using at the minute its Active Registry Monitor takes 2 snapshots of the registry a before and after and compares them. Dosen't take long to find your needed tweak setting in the registry.

Thats how I did a lot of tweaks for my file! But I used different programs. InstallWatch Pro which does the same, and NTRegMon which monitor realtime registry changes..

--

I cant wait to see how this turns out.. Btw, I apologise too for not posting any tweaks in this post :)

Don't quote me on this, but I think you can set your default resolution with the following registry keys.

; Set Default Color Depth
; 0x8  is 8  bit    0x10 is 16 bit
; 0x18 is 24 bit    0x20 is 32 bit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\VgaSave\Device0]
"DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel"=dword:00000020

; Set Default Resolution
; 0x280 is 640    0x1e0 is 480
; 0x320 is 800    0x258 is 600
; 0x400 is 1024   0x300 is 768
"DefaultSettings.XResolution"=dword:00000400
"DefaultSettings.YResoultion"=dword:00000300

; Set Default Refresh Rate
; 0x03C is 60hz
; 0x041 is 65hz
; 0x046 is 70hz
; 0x048 is 72hz
; 0x04B is 75hz
; 0x055 is 85hz
"DefaultSettings.VRefresh"=dword:0000003C

**Note** I've not actually tried this as I usually set it in the winnt.sif file.

Cheers

I didn't see this anywhere in this thread, but I posted it in my introduction thread in the "Hello!" section:

;disable MacroMedia Flash, no IE "do you want to install Flash" pop-ups
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000400

These regtweaks would be a great thing to include as options in a tab of a proggie like nLite... just a thought.

-Hista

Well if someone converts those regtweaks in inf format i can add them without problem.

But don't expect me to convert it until winxp can fit on a floppy :)

p.s. lets get back on the topic

@ALL who want to change this forum... We should not have people posting their full Reg tweak files. It takes up alot of space.

Back on topic...

1) I've searched far and wide. How do I set my default folder view to Icon?

2) What is the correct method for removing shared documents from My Computer? I've seen 2

2) maybe u saw 2 keys 1 per machine 1 per user

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

Explorer]System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

Explorer]

create NoSharedDocuments dword value set it to 1 to disable...

1) is little complicated. i'd recommend u to get regshot and have u're settings copied to a .reg file...

and full reg tweaks no this forum, well i've 40 pages per page and there are 18pages and everypage has as least 20ppl posting their full tweaks list.

u do the math :)

Guest zippy

; Show extensions for known file types
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"HideFileExt"=dword:00000000

It turns out that I have that line in my .reg file. However, it didn't work for me. Should the dword be 1?

Actually, it did work with the dword of "0". I was looking at the wrong setting... :)

try...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\HideFileExt]
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000

i can't make it work if only tweak the HKCU...HideFileExt, got to tweak both HKCU & HKLM

it worked for my setup, after new setup complete and then administrator first logon.

actually, i got to tweak much thing in HKLM to make tweaks works at first-time user logon, lots folder things, and visual effect things...

visual effects:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\TaskbarAnimations]
"DefaultApplied"=dword:00000000
"DefaultValue"=dword:00000000
"DefaultByAlphaTest"=dword:00000000

blah...blah....blah.... just apply on every effect you want to turn off.

in my case, the one that really matters is the last one "DefaultByAlphaTest".

if i dont turn if off, visual effects always apply, after xp fresh installation @user first-time logon.

reg tweaks for folder and visual effects in HKLM, you must refers to "CheckedValue" and "UncheckedValue" on the same key to determine what value to put on "DefaultValue".

but i got one exception on visual effects, "ListviewWatermark" always apply, even both regs on HKLM & HKCU turned off.

exceptions on folder: "Hidden", "HideFileExt", "ShowCompColor", "ShowInfoTip". try to apply on both HKLM & HKCU, i cant sure.