Roaming Profile Issues!

I am having issues in my Windows Server 2003/XP Domain environment. Here is my setup:

Server: Windows Server 2003

Clients: Windows XP Pro (All members of the domain)

Profile path: \\server\profiles\%USERNAME% (shared w/everone and full control) also did this under Security settings.

However when ever I log into the domain I get a message saying the network path can not found and it will use a local copy, but then it can't find local copy either so it uses a temp file. At first I wondered if it was only a issure on the wireless but it does it on both.

I am a very big novice when it comes to GPO's so please if you can help me please be as specific as possible. I believe all my rights are set accordingly as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dijital

I don't think it's DNS if you can ping the name of the server and map drives.

And it's not protocol binding order if you are only using TCP/IP.

You've shared the Profile folder on the server with full control permissions on the share and NTFS so it's not permissions. And it's saying it can't find the path anyway so that doesn't indicate a problem with permissions.

Have you checked the path carefully, letter by letter, and the folder name and server name, letter by letter, to make sure you haven't mistyped?

I once had a terrible time with the path to my win95 install share because someone had named the folder 0sr2 (the number zero instead of the letter O).

Directory on the share must exist first for the %USERNAME% value. For instance, for joe.public:

\\server\profiles\joe.public has to exist before the user logs in for the first time (or any time, for that matter).

My best guess is your not connected to your wifi network when you login and you are using cached passwords. I have had this problem as well with my wifi laptop and the one thing i changed to make it work was the Wait for network on startup option in the system policys. This made it work however i am not currently using it as it gets in the way of other things when im on the road.

well I have played around with it a bit more and I think some of my permissions are not setup correctly, what should be the exact permissions for each folder both and NTFS?

I thought it was the wireless as well, but it does it on the wire too...

Tree:

Profiles

-User1

-User2

could someone enclose screenshots of what it should look like for each folder and all the NTFS permissions/settings.

Dijital

Your NTFS permissions need to allow each user at least Modify permission for non-mandatory roaming profiles. Set the permissions on the same folder as the share and make sure to allow inheritance to propagate from parent to child. If you are using the %username% variable it will set up the folders for each profile for you with the appropriate permissions, or at least it should.

Do you have the Resource Kits for 2003 and XP? The XP one is available online at Microsoft's website. So are the one's for 2000 and most of what is there should also apply to 2003 to some extent.

Dij,

I was able to dupe the errors you were getting on my 2K3 Server test machine. I was only able to get the error when I did 2 things wrong. One, my permissions on my Profile "share" was set to "Everyone" with read only permission. Two, my profile path was incorrectly anotated. Make sure your permissions on your Profile shared is "Everyone" Full Control and that your profile path correctly points to the profile shared directory.

see that's what I was thinking was the issue was my permissions as well my share with everyone is full control and profile path is correct unless I should try using the IP address in the UNC instead of Server name.

If you use the IP address and it works, then you have a problem with your DNS not properly resolving names to IP. Actually, you can try to ping your server by its name to see if it resolves to the proper IP address.