2K3 Server IP Scope Problem

Hi Folk's,

I have a problem which i am sure will be simple for some1 to answer,

Currently i have 2k3 server setup as dc...

That same server acts as a dhcp server as well as dns and wins server.

This machine also acts as a rras server.

Everything works as required except that from time to time my clients cannot get ip addresses from the server.

When i look at the status of the dhcp server i find that all the addresses in the

active scope are assigned to the server.

The clients are not getting an ip because the dhcp server is assigning all the available ip's to itself!!

Any idea's???

Thankyou in advance

C.B

Hello again,

Well i am surprised at the lack of ideas,

However i have another resource for an answer that i did not want to use but it looks like i will have to.

I will let you know if i find the answer out!

cheers

Curv Boll

Is your DC (w2k3) server automatically obtaining an IP for itself? If so, you must statically assign an IP to the server and exclude it from the DHCP IP scope. A DHCP server cannot be a DHCP client. Just a thought.

Hi OldMan,

Thanks for the ideas,

sadly i have assigned a static ip address which is outside the active dhcp scope.

Though i think i have found the correct answer from my other source.

My scope was only 10 addresses long and since i had rras running it by default holds back 10 addresses for remote clients.

This default setting can be changed in the registry or i can extend my scope so that it has enough for remote clients and my few clients.

I have not had time to fully test this idea but i think it will be correct and i shall post back again to confirm

many thanks

C.B

Hi there,

As i stated earlier i think some1 gave me the answer from another source but im always pleased to see people respond.

In answer to your questions

1. The scope is a private non routable scope and it has only ten addresses as i have only a few clients.

I am using rras for nat so that each client can reach the web and can be managed from the web.

I dont want to increase the scope for other reasons but i can tweak the default rras lease from 10 resses to just a few.

Should be trying it out tonight, i'll let ya know.

C.B

HI,

Yes i think the problem has been solved but as i tried to say,

there 2 options to correct it....

1. Increase the scope as agreed

or

2. edit the registry on the server that specifies the default setting of 10 addresses held back for rras remote clients.

I am choosing the latter for thew time being but i'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for input.

C.B