Small business server 2003

Hi Guys,

I thing this will be an easy one for all of you.

I work in a small office with 9 computers that are conected through a small network. I'm thinking of buying small business server 2003 standart so we will have a proper network. I have few question since I have no idea:

1. Does all work stations need to be XP Pro? (I have some home and some Pro).

2. How difficalt it will be for me to build and configer the server mostly exchange and share point. My main use for the network is share internet/printer and files. I want to use the sharepoint as an Intranet. Is it the right use for it?

(I will buy the server pre configur but after that - mails,users, firewall etc.)

I have now background as network admin but I have a good sence and good will so let me know if I can do that....

Thanks,

Assaf

You can use both home and pro, but I wouldn't buy any more home edition -- too icky!

Get yourself some good reference books. I recommend the Windows 2003 Resource Kit from Microsoft Press and Mastering Windows Server 2003, by Mark Minasi from Sybex. I'm not sure what the differences are between SBS and the regular version of 2003 server but I recommend you do some research in the Microsoft website to make sure that whatever differences there are, you can live with them. Finally, if you can, take a class or get some self-paced training on server. You can do it by falling down a hole and following your nose, but that isn't very efficient or much fun.

Good luck!

Hi Vavavoom,

By the size of your network all you should need is the standard edition of 2k3 server.

Most people however, create a "domain" when introducing 2003 server into their network.

They setup the server as a domain controller which means they have a central

administrative point for sharing files and managing accounts and so on.

This makes life so much easier.

If you want to make the server a domain controller you will have to change the xp home machines.

XP home machines are every bit as good as the pro version except that they do not have the networking capabilities that are offered in the pro version.

(just a good bit of marketing by ms)

This in turn means that home machines cannot join a domain. XPpro can.

The other option you have is to leave the server as a member server which means there will be no central management server for the network. The server will be able to assign dhcp addresses to the clients but you would have to manage computers and users via all the different machines.

Hope this helps

C.B

Small Business Server may be perfect for your situation. It's like an all in one server for small businesses. Comes with exchange, fax server, sharepoint, web oulook(my favorite), remote desktop gateway plus tons of other stuff, integrates superbly with office 2003(specially with outlook). All of that with a wizard kinda setup. Throw in ISA server and ur off.

like curv ball said, lose the Home versions if ur going AD.

I would recommend looking into the MS Action Pack subscription. For $299 you get alot. The only "catch" to the Action pack is that you can't have more than 10 client pc's, and the subcription is only "good" for a year. Meaning you're supposed to stop using it after a year, but there is no enforcement of that. Renewal of the action pack is $199 a year.

post-35-1089316488_thumb.png