Question: Putting things on desktop

This may have already been awnsered but i couldnt find it...

How do i put things on my desktop from my unnatended cd(i have tried putting files in $OEM dir.)? The problem i encountered is that i cant put it in the folder $docs under my username, as the setup creates a new folder with all my settings in it

eg

I create a folder called TigerWolf in $docs folder in $oem$ to be put into C:\documents and settings\tigerwolf\desktop

When testing installation, for desktop etc are not put into tigerwolf folder but put into "tigerwolf.COMPUTERNAME" so the files will not go into the folder.

My question is, how do i copy the files and folders over with tree intact after windows has installed?

You could put them inside the $1 folder in something of your own choosing and then use the move command.

1) Put everything in X:\$OEM$\$1\Desktop

2) In your batch file, add the command: MOVE /Y %systemdrive%\Desktop "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\TigerWolf"

a second solution: when u create a folder in $OEM$ with the name of your user it will be copied until the process of register accounts. that means that when xp installation tries to create a folder with your username it will find the folder "Tigerwolf" so it creates another different to don't corrupt an "hipotetic account". solution can be make a rar sfx to be extracted into %USERPROFILE%\Desktop after the user accounts are registered or using $OEM$ folder you can create $OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop which won't be renamed because it will be always the same not like the username.

... create $OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop which won't be renamed because it will be always the same not like the username.

You can sometimes run into the same problem where you have "All User.COMPNAME" as the All users folder. When you use the $DOCS folder, it will copy into an All Users folder, which may not be used.

I do something similar to what Nick2588 said. Except I extract to the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%, rather than a predetermined user.

This condition is rare, an usually only happens when you don't erase the documents and settings folder before installing xp, from a clean install. SiMoNsAyS is right on about why you should go to the all users profile.

You could put them inside the $1 folder in something of your own choosing and then use the move command.

1) Put everything in X:\$OEM$\$1\Desktop

2) In your batch file, add the command: MOVE /Y %systemdrive%\Desktop "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\TigerWolf"

Thanks for the help guys, i think i will use the move method. Should solve all my problems

... create $OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Desktop which won't be renamed because it will be always the same not like the username.

You can sometimes run into the same problem where you have "All User.COMPNAME" as the All users folder. When you use the $DOCS folder, it will copy into an All Users folder, which may not be used.

I do something similar to what Nick2588 said. Except I extract to the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%, rather than a predetermined user.

This condition is rare, an usually only happens when you don't erase the documents and settings folder before installing xp, from a clean install. SiMoNsAyS is right on about why you should go to the all users profile.

lol i didn't know it because first i tried myusername\desktop in the $OEM$ folder and it was renamed to myusername.mycomputername then i tried allusers\desktop folder and it worked perfect :)

lol i didn't know it because first i tried myusername\desktop in the $OEM$ folder and it was renamed to myusername.mycomputername then i tried allusers\desktop folder and it worked perfect  :)

The All Users is probably created early on, while the user folder is created later.

The User.Computername is added on when the folder User already exists. Doing \$OEM$\$1\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop probably creates the folder User before Windows creates the folder.