WHQL and non-WHQL nvidia display drivers

shapeless

ok im a bit confused right now. if you specify some nvidia display driver in pnpoemsetup, will xp only install them if its whql? but then i put some whql drivers(61.36) in my pnpoem path yet windows didn't want those either!

i have driverpolicy set to ignore. and i know that i have all the files needed, because after install i manually pointed the display driver to the 000_display dir and it got all the files it needed(although it had a screen that said this driver isn't signed by blah blah blah)

when i searched the forums i found pre-packaged nvidia drivers, but id like to have a formula that works if i just download the latest beta, and i want to be able to shazam them into 000_display and tell xp to suck it up and install them regardless. is this possible?

ok im a bit confused right now. if you specify some nvidia display driver in pnpoemsetup, will xp only install them if its whql? but then i put some whql drivers(61.36) in my pnpoem path yet windows didn't want those either!

i have driverpolicy set to ignore. and i know that i have all the files needed, because after install i manually pointed the display driver to the 000_display dir and it got all the files it needed(although it had a screen that said this driver isn't signed by blah blah blah)

when i searched the forums i found pre-packaged nvidia drivers, but id like to have a formula that works if i just download the latest beta, and i want to be able to shazam them into 000_display and tell xp to suck it up and install them regardless. is this possible?

Of course it's possible! Plz double check (again) for typing errors: check the paths in your winnt.sif and also check if it's being copied correctly. (is it in $OEM$\$1\Drivers\ ???)

(no comments on the fact that *I* am saying this please :))

well the drivers are in $oem$\$$\drivers\000_NVDISPLAY on the cd and then winnt.sif says this:

OemPnPDriversPath="windows\drivers\000_NVDISPLAY"

its the only driver in there right now. shouldn't this work or does it have to be in $1\drivers?

well the drivers are in $oem$\$$\drivers\000_NVDISPLAY on the cd and then winnt.sif says this:

OemPnPDriversPath="windows\drivers\000_NVDISPLAY"

its the only driver in there right now. shouldn't this work or does it have to be in $1\drivers?

I'd recommend $1\Drivers. But If you really want to use the Windows folder: I think it should be Windows; windows with a capital w....

I've also been having trouble with Nvidia drivers (61.34). Putting the drivers in the OEM folder installs them but then in Windows I get a code 10 error saying that my video card (FX5900u) can't start. All other drivers, (soundcard, NIC, MB, etc, etc), install without a hitch.

I then tried putting them in with my RunOnce, but they didn't even install, using the setup.exe file with answer file and I also tried using Installinf on the nv4_disp.inf file. I CAN successfully install them manually with no trouble at all, so I know that the files themselves aren't screwed up.

It's pretty weird and annoying.

I put it back to $1\drivers, and it still doesn't work. i actually have never gotten a nvidia display driver to install in pnpoempath. catalyst was simple though.

is there some sort of tag that can be applied to any driver to signal windows to install it as if it was a driver MS has certified? clearly the problem is windows just refusing to install perfectly good files.

Are you sure you have OEMPreinstall=yes in your unattended file? I know it's simple but easy to overlook.

During setup, press Shift-F10 and "cd" to the C:\drivers directory and make sure the drivers are actually copied.

Are you sure you have OEMPreinstall=yes in your unattended file? I know it's simple but easy to overlook.

During setup, press Shift-F10 and "cd" to the C:\drivers directory and make sure the drivers are actually copied.

yes. ive done preinstall before on another pc, i put the catalyst display drivers in and it worked nicely. but can't get nvidia to work right. although ive only tried beta drivers and this newest WHQL driver.

the drivers are in c:\drivers, i point my display driver to drivers\000_nvdisplay, it finds the driver, and installs it with that continue anyway prompt.

Maybe it's that Windows doesn't associate your display adapter with the display drivers. I have that problem with my Epson printer. Windows won't install it during setup but asks me at first boot for the drivers. I point it to the drivers and it installs fine.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you have both of these in your WINNT.SIF file:

DriverSigningPolicy="Ignore"

NonDriverSigningPolicy="Ignore"

I know that the drivers work (all versions) because I've tried all of them. I have a GeForce 4 MX440SE 8x and all the drivers will install flawlessly.

Except for once when I didn't have the graphics card pushed in all the way. The drivers wouldn't install unless I pointed Windows to the directory where the drivers were... Maybe check that?