Copying over a "Default User" dir...

Ok, here is what I am trying to do:

I have set up a user on a fresh install, I've set everything to be the way I like it (layout wise, things turned on and off etc)

I have then copied that profile and made the relavent mods to it to make it in to a Default User profile.

When setting up new users on that fresh install with the new Default Users dir it goes like a dream, all the new users on the machine get the settings exactly as I want them.

When I set up my unattended cd to copy the Default User dir I have created it doesn't appear to work, and I am fairly sure I read somewhere on here that it is possible to do but I am buggered if I can find the post...

I have tried putting the Default User dir in the $Docs dir and that didn't work so I added a line to my prepare.cmd file that is called from cmdlines.txt, the like i've added is:

start /wait xcopy "%systemdrive%\Install\Profiles\*.*" "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings" /E /V /H /R /K /Y

I have run this command from a test batch file on a working system and it works a treat also, so I am a little stuck as to how to get this working in unattended mode, I am guessing I may be copying the dir at the wrong time perhaps ?!?!

Can anyone offer any help on this one ?

Many thanks,

Radial. :)

instead of using a batch file.. why not just put the default folder (for this example we'll call it User1 ) in the doc's directory of the $OEM$ folder

\$OEM$\$Docs\User1 during the install it will be copied over 2 C:\Documents and Settings\User1

no messing with batch files :) also, why dont u just do your tweaks via .reg or .inf file ? for more info try using search or http://unattended.msfn.org

regards

@radial: I also think it should work. You could try to rename it to .bat and then retry it, this might help in your case. The reason? Somewhere on this forum it's explained....

@MCT: That's not what radial wants... That way settings aren't applied to ALL users...

EDIT: this is what MCT exactly meant: http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/hkcu_registry.htm

Cheers guys, I went with the registry settings originally, but as Bâshrat said this doesn't apply to all users...

I've tried the \$OEM$\$Docs\Default User method but it doesn't seem to work.. However everything else works fine from the $OEM$ dir so it makes me think that I cannot copy over a Default User dir...

Not sure if this makes a difference but I have File Protection disabled by default.. I thought this might help the cause, but aparentely not :)

Thanks for the help so far,

Radial.

Any idea how I can stop this happening? I would really like to be able to use this as the default profile for people as it'd make life VERY easy from an admin point of view :)

Cheers guys,

Radial.

Any idea how I can stop this happening? I would really like to be able to use this as the default profile for people as it'd make life VERY easy from an admin point of view :)

Cheers guys,

Radial.

Is this on a network? If you're using Active Directory, you might want to consider putting the profile up on the network. I did that with our images and seems to work better than a local def profile because you can mount the hive and make last-minute changes whereas the local profiles have to be updated across the entire site.

If it's local and somewhere in the install process the profile is being overwritten, you might want to try keeping it in a safe temp directory, then have GUIRunOnce copy it to its destination right before the temp directory is removed.

You are trying to copy over NTUSER.DAT to a copy that is in use: C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\NTUSER.DAT, as that is the hive used by XP at the T-13 stage. You could try to copy it over on first boot, using GuiRunOnce. The disadvantage will be that the administrator does NOT have your custom profile, but all other users will.

Thanks for the above guys, now it's been put to me it makes far more sense :) I'm not worried about the Admin account, it's just the user accounts.. I'll give it a try tomorrow when I am less overworked and will post back :rolleyes:

Once again, Many thanks,

Radial.

It does work that way but it's not recomended.

The user.dat is full of sid's and other specific information.

Microsoft put a tool out for this (although it may just be a pretty way to do the same thing).

I have never used it,

I have seen this way work and I have seen it cause havoc.

I.E. one case I saw an admin users outlook file under the administrator account!