Windows XP Embedded - Boot From CD Tutorial

CuBie

53 members have voted

1. 1. Windows XP Embedded - Boot From CD Tutorial

• Yes
    • No
    • Whats XPe

ME & Zaheer have recently been able to figure out how to boot windows xp embedded totally from a cd.

So yes, thats a full os booting from a cd.

Were considering writing a tutorial - Would you lot be intrested in one?

Chris.

Windows XP Embedded (XPe) Is a componentised version of windows xp sp1.

You can choose what components you want in XP, Networking, FAT Support, NTFS Support, and theres like 1000 components to choose from.

Basicly You can make your OWN personal version of windows xp.

This XPe contains a component that redirects all IO calls to the HD to the RAM. Thus it can be booted off a cd.

Hope it helps,

Chris.

@Alanoll - use the xpe 120 day trial - its what i use.

@kingroach - Windows XPe is nothing like PE. XPe is just a componentized version of XP. =))

Tutorial comming soon

Chris.

Now if only I had a copy of XP Embedded to test it with.....oh well :rolleyes:

As Chris said, you can download the evaluation from Microsoft. The tools and database have no time limitation, but all the XP Embedded images you build will have a 120 day timebomb, which gives you plenty time to try XPe (1/3 of the year - 4 months) and then you can always rebuild the image to have another 120 days :)

Exactly as Chris said. For example with XPe you can add Windows Media, .NET Framework, Explorer Shell but with Win PE that's almost impossible (some of it is possible but you will have problems later on).

XPe also does not have the same limitations as Windows PE such as rebooting after 24 hours and the 6 process limit. It's fully customizable and more personal, becuase you can add your own drivers, with gives the user more choices.

How long takes it to wrote this tut?

Quite a long while. Chris and I have been working on it since yesterday quite intensively and we're still not finished. As Chris mentioned earlier on in this thread that there is little documentation for this procedure and so since we are writing this tutorial from scratch, but still making it comprehensive it does take a while.

Expect the tutorial by the end of this week (no promises made, but a rough guideline). :)