Extremely Lite XP

redder

Does anyone know how to cut windows xp to the bare essencials? when i ask that i dont mean just using XPLite, i mean like, having XP kernel and IE6 only, such thing wouldnt occupy more than 200MB, but using XP lite it leaves you with a 1GB.

I have a dream... Windows XP fully working with internet explorer and less than 200MB, can anyone help me to fulfill that dream? :)

try using nuhi's nlite tool. it reduces the xp source by removing all the components u want. i believe that u should be able to come down to a very good 400-500 mb at least, if not less.

nlite is in the forums under unattend windows\ member contributed projects

danish

Fulfil your dream ? :)

Enjoy!

What you want has already been done by hundreds of people, and works successfully without bugs. Check out the "nLite" Windows XP slimming down tool from the link below:

nLite sub-forum

The latest release thread

Official website for download

nLite will reduce your XP installer CD size (called "source") to less than 125 MB; and the size of the installed OS on your HDD will total up to just about 300 MB.

EDIT : DANG! I guess I need to type faster ^^^^^^^

i don't wanna kill your dream but i think u will never leave a 200mb installed xp :rolleyes: probably you will take the installation source down 300mb (you'll need to leave all internet options and internet features). but on HD this seems a lot of more for example dllcache will take ~150mb plus and the pagefile.sys file will take 4/3 of your ram (512MB is my ram allocation and my pagefile fills 766mb). if it is a personal question ( :) ) you can disable WFP and remove your pagefile but that will cause a very unstable configuration and a virus source (thinking in that your primary use will be the inet)

guess the real question is what do you want to do with this computer?

u can do more with a reduced source OS then with the "stock" xp :)

less things getting in the way/taking up room, thus less being used via memory, thus faster performance :rolleyes:

regards

I’m sure the list of thing that can be done with a stock XP install is a lot longer then the list of things that can be done with a reduced install of XP.

less things getting in the way/taking up room, thus less being used via memory, thus faster performance

If you really believe that, sure.

If it doesn’t get loaded it doesn’t use memory. So if a service is set to disabled it will take no resources. If it is set to manual it will use no resources until it is needed. If a program is not running at startup it will use no resources and it will use no resources until it is run.

All a reduced install really does is uses less disk space and reduces the functionality of the OS.

That’s why I say if you want a small footprint XP OS then you should start with a PE. Anyone who thinks PE is a recovery tool doesn’t really understand what PE is. Using it for a recovery tool is just a side effect of what it can do. It is designed to be an embedded OS that starts with next to nothing so developers you add only what is needed for the device it will be running on. In fact Microsoft doesn’t support its use as a recovery tool. The only ones that are supposed to have MSPE are developers of such embedded devices. However, it is nice that some have found a way to use it as a recovery tool because it’s great for that too.

In my opinion to build a minimal system, it would be easier to build up, only adding what you want instead of ripping out what you don’t need.

Yes you can install it right on to a hard drive!!!

From BartsPE web site:

BartPE Harddisk Installer

The pehdinst.cmd script installs BartPE to harddisk.

There are 2 ways:

Install BartPE next to your existing Windows 2000/XP/2003 operating system (using boot.ini). This will:

Install peboot.bin and peldr.

Add peboot.bin to your boot.ini file.

Remove \minint and \programs directory and copy it again from source.

This is a pretty safe way of installing BartPE to harddisk.

Install BartPE, as the primary OS.

This will:

Delete all partitions on disk 0 and create a new partition and a NTFS volume for BartPE (only the first time)

Remove \minint and \programs (if exists) and copy it again from source.

Be careful!

All files to use BartPE Harddisk installer are included with PE Builder.

:)

i will just say one stupid thing: PE is a "Preinstallation Environment" and can not be used as a proper OS, i will not talk about 32bit applications and many other things that will have a problem with a PE i will talk about the first thing i said: if you want to browse the net u will need a firewall (xp default for example) and a antivir. if u don't use that you are exposed to blasters and sassers so minimal installation with inet tools and a minimum security about... ~800Mb. if inet it's the primary need don't look for PE, look for nLite and the office shrink tool.

Yes you can install it right on to a hard drive!!!

From BartsPE web site:

BartPE Harddisk Installer

The pehdinst.cmd script installs BartPE to harddisk.

There are 2 ways:

Install BartPE next to your existing Windows 2000/XP/2003 operating system (using boot.ini). This will:

Install peboot.bin and peldr.

Add peboot.bin to your boot.ini file.

Remove \minint and \programs directory and copy it again from source.

This is a pretty safe way of installing BartPE to harddisk.

Install BartPE, as the primary OS.

This will:

Delete all partitions on disk 0 and create a new partition and a NTFS volume for BartPE (only the first time)

Remove \minint and \programs (if exists) and copy it again from source.

Be careful!

All files to use BartPE Harddisk installer are included with PE Builder.

:)

But that's just copying the files over! :rolleyes: It doesn't exactly get "installed"... Everything's just copied over...