Bart PE HD install doesn't work

shapeless

i would have posted in that bart forums but they are down right now.

its really simple all i want to do is install bart PE onto a blank 500mb partition and boot from it. i had to fool the installer by copying ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com, but its still not booting. what do i have to do to make bart pe boot? thanks for any info

well it only gives 2 options. i need an inbetween option, i dont want to it for departition the whole drive and create a new one. i just want it to make a new install on an existing one which doesn't have a windows xp install there already.

@shapeless

1. Make sure that this partition is a primary partition and active (bootable).

2. Delete the files boot.ini and ntldr but leave ntdetect.com, then copy setupldr.bin from the minint folder to the root of the partition, then rename it to ntldr, that's all, just reboot :)

Note: By making WinPE's partition active, you won't be able to run your OS on the other partition, so if you want to have one boot.ini (one menu) that gives you the choice between your OS and WinPE at startup, this is another long story.

piro

@shapeless

1. Make sure that this partition is a primary partition and active (bootable).

2. Delete the files boot.ini and ntldr but leave ntdetect.com, then copy setupldr.bin from the minint folder to the root of the partition, then rename it to ntldr, that's all, just reboot :)

Note: By making WinPE's partition active, you won't be able to run your OS on the other partition, so if you want to have one boot.ini (one menu) that gives you the choice between your OS and WinPE at startup, this is another long story.

piro

cool thanks. now i just need a program thats like a boot menu but can make active whichever OS partition i select. ive used smart boot manager, but that just gives you the choice to select which HD to boot from right?

@shapeless

now i just need a program thats like a boot menu but can make active whichever OS partition i select. ive used smart boot manager

You don't need any other boot manager, you can use the built-in NT loader of WinXP/2K3 to have a menu that gives you the option between your OS and WinPE.

In fact, i have WinPE, Recovery Console, Win98SE on one partition, and WinXP on another partition and Win2K on a third partition and have only one menu (ntldr menu) that allows me selecting whichever option at startup.

piro

@shapeless
now i just need a program thats like a boot menu but can make active whichever OS partition i select. ive used smart boot manager

You don't need any other boot manager, you can use the built-in NT loader of WinXP/2K3 to have a menu that gives you the option between your OS and WinPE.

In fact, i have WinPE, Recovery Console, Win98SE on one partition, and WinXP on another partition and Win2K on a third partition and have only one menu (ntldr menu) that allows me selecting whichever option at startup.

piro

could i see your boot.ini by chance? thats where all the information on booting to which partition is right? just seeing an example would help me a lot

@shapeless

could i see your boot.ini by chance?

It's not just the boot.ini that makes it work, you have to go through some steps first.

If you're interested in a how-to, let me know.

piro