Just alittle reminder

This is just a friendly public service annoucement to all those posting in the Unattend Forums.....

There really are a subset of rules to this place. They're not much. Infact, I believe it's one sentence. Perhaps at most three.

If you want to paste full batch commands or winnt.sif values please place them inside the tags. Don't forget to blank your Product Key and any revealing info! Stating the Operating System used for your unattended installation will help us to assist you
It can be find clicking the little link right below where it reads....
MSFN -> Unattended Windows Discussion & Support -> Unattended Windows

Right above where you're reading this. For those that don't see it. Click here.

Please remember to use CODE tags when you post CODE. This does not just include batch files, but also INI files, SVCPACK.INF, INF files in general, CMD files, BAT files, REG files, or anything that may be considered code. It helps to tidy up the board, and make it look alittle bit cleaner. It also helps for those of us who skim, to recognize it's code, and to disregard untill we find the question in the post, and then go back. :)

PS: Usage is as follows:

[code.]testing [/code.] (use it without the period [.] )
^^__________^^
^^opening tag ^^closing tag

every opened tag should be closed
so the output will be
testing

THanks to Mac for that.....

nothing against the nice reminder

but just wanted to say that even though I know how to use quote & code etc

I got confused while I was reading reminder bc of \ / stuff

I'd change them with something like this..

[code.] testing [/code.] (use it without the period [.] )
^^__________^^
^^opening tag ^^closing tag

every opened tag should be closed
so the output will be
testing

just for the ppl who're picky like me...

and for those u don't know how to use the code buttons press the guided mode radio button and let it help u...

Don't forget, if you've got any code/reg tip/file that you want to share with us, and it has more than 40 lines in it, USE THE DAMNED ATTACHMENT OPTION, OR HOST IT ON A WEBSITE AND LINK US TO IT!.

There is nothing more annoying than scrolling through a thread that has 500+ lines of code, only to find that there is a 1 line question at the end of it (with which the poster generally forgoes all grammatical and spelling rules).

</outburst>

Don't forget, if you've got any code/reg tip/file that you want to share with us, and it has more than 40 lines in it, USE THE DAMNED ATTACHMENT OPTION, OR HOST IT ON A WEBSITE AND LINK US TO IT!.

There is nothing more annoying than scrolling through a thread that has 500+ lines of code, only to find that there is a 1 line question at the end of it (with which the poster generally forgoes all grammatical and spelling rules).

</outburst>

Looks at the registry tweaks thread for MANY examples of why this is a GOOD rule.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, a few weeks ago, I started to refine my posts the way you mean.

And because I was tired of searching around, I created my sig this way. I haven't finished revising all posts, yet.

However, I see QUOTES more capable of text formatting than CODES.

• 5 weeks later...

</outburst>

Looks at the registry tweaks thread for MANY examples of why this is a GOOD rule.

I think the Registry Tweaks thread should be exempt for said rule (the 40 line+ attachment one)...

For the simple reason that it's nice to be able to BROWSE everyone's different tweaks and do some quick copy/pasting between the thread and notepad without having to OPEN/SAVE 589234 files ONE-BY-ONE... :|

<disclaimer>Just an opinion</disclaimer>

well, My reasoning is excessively LONG posts should be attached regardless. Sure it makes it easier if it's just posted, but it saves bandwidth (granted not much) or makes the board easier to navigate. I've seen some code posts......printed they take up 3 pages, and someone thought they should just copy paste it all.

You know what this board is in DIRE need of? A +/- collapse style box next to code boxes so that long code pastes are automatically collapsed and that a single click on the little +/- box would expand the code box in full... à la Explorer.

nice idea! it would take some doing though. i'm not sure how extensions/mods work in Invision.

and just to go the other way, i think it would be better if the search DIDN'T search code boxes. ever try searching for more information on on a certain heading or option? eg. you want to know what 'UnattendSwitch' or 'RA_AllowFullControl' does in winnt.sif. the search brings up each and every post where someone has happened to paste their script for whatever reason. it's impossible to find anything.

but searching in the code does have many advantages as well. maybe an option to include/exclude code boxes on the search page could give ppl the best of both worlds?

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't post any more suggestions here - this thread is about the rules...... :P

Here's where your suggestions have been posted, and the matter is closed atleast until the next version of our forum software is released and implemented (another 2 months maybe) -

A good idea from some forum members

We'll see about it after that. The chapter about suggestions is closed - only rules here.