Gmail Question

kmf

Please excuse my stupidity, but.......

Why is there a 10 mb limit to attachments when you have a gig of space available?

I though that with the 1 GB of storage space I would be able to exchange large attachments with others but this is not the case I guess.

If you need to send a file over 10 megs you can split it up using winrar or a splitting program. Rarely should you need to send a file over 10 megs.

-gosh

8.5 MB is the actual file size limit. The extra 1.5 MB is overhead. Like gosh said, use a file compression program such as WinRAR, www.rarlab.com. Split the file into smaller compressed files and have fun :)

there are many websites for sharing files

x drive I believe was popular

or u can simply get a geocities website host the file there

and email your friend the url of the file if u cannot email more than *10.mb

I can see having some type of limit, but 10 mb seems small to me.

I deal with alot of service manuals and parts diagrams for stuff and people are always looking for copies. They very between 8 MB and 105 MB.

It would be nice to be able to just send a file to someone'e email address without having to split into 15 seperate parts.

I think it would be better if u set up an FTP site or something like that, so that people can just look and get what they need. Instead of u doing it, attaching it, sending it (which can take a long time), them receiving it, downloading it.. I think u know where I am going with this. That's what I do, I have a, ftp site with all that I need, and I just give people permissions to what they need, and follow that with a link to where they can get stuff. It's a lot easier, and u basically get ur hands gree and let people look and get their own stuff.

Ok SHut up Hyde! lololol :)

Gmail team has just added the option to import contacts... it is going slowly, but in the right way, but it doesn't import any contact that doesn't have an e-mail... yahoo allows that....

i can't wait until they make a calendar...

Have Fun

Also, most mail servers have an inbound message size limit. For example, our office allows attachments up to 100Mb but inbound messages are rejected at 10Mb. People here who try to take advantage of our increased outbound limit are rarely successful. They almost always receive a message back from the destination server stating that it was too large and that the maximum message size is 5 or 10Mb.

It might be Google trying to cut down on support inquiries as to why large emails are bouncing.

• 2 weeks later...

also, every other email address companie has a limit of 10 mb per user. sympatico, hotmail was 2mb, theres just no point to making it more, it would over flow all the other email boxes. it only works between other gmail users, and would take forever to upload and download

For 90% of users on the net, 10Mb is too much ! :rolleyes:

If everyone was sending over 10Mb the internet would grind to a halt. The limits are set for both data security - to stop data sent being currupted, and for speed. There are still some ppl with a slow old dialup, and before long the spammers and junk mail will start using the 10Mb to send all their crap out. :) Also, the e-mail servers have plenty of drive space, but the routers dont!

So 10Mb is Ample....

If your that desperate to send huge files, then burn a cd and post it ! :D

or setup an ftp site where those who want to spend the time downloading the files can access them!

:D