Replacement OEM Windows CD?

leedolman

I am about to sell my old(ish) PC, but I may have a slight problem. The PC came with an OEM version of XP Home Edition preinstalled along with an XP Home CD.

A while back, whilst reinstalling from this disc, the disc "exploded" in the drive (God knows how, or why! :) ) luckily, I had made a backup, but I'm sure any potential buyers would, as I would be, be a little suspicious of a copied XP disc being supplied with my computer.

to the point... who would I contact to obtain a replacement disc? Microsoft, or the PC manufactuer (in this case Targa Visionary)? and do they actually supply replacement CD's?

Thanks for any help

Lee

you have the copy as you said and i am sure that the serial for that original CD is registered under your name which is the most important point in this case.

so it dosen't matter if it's a copy or original CD finally you awn the key.

this is my openion.

I don't know about oem, but I had this happen with a couple of MS retail products, and a quick call to MS got me replacment discs in the mail. They asked for the CD SET number or Part number from the packaging, and charged something like $30 for replacements, but it was better than buying a new xp pro full for $199.

I had a similar situation with a HP machine a few years ago. First I called Microsoft, they sent me to HP. When I spoke to HP they wanted me to buy the new CD. Things maybe a bit different with XP with the way everything gets registered now.