firefox 0.9 howto

m00j

As you probably have found out, firefox does not have any switches to do a silent install. I have made a work around using one of those programs listed on the MSFN site.

Basically, I modifed the config.ini to make it have as little windows show as possible and then made a script that hit the don't open firefox button and the finish button when done.

you can download it here

It contains the modifed config.ini and the installer.

------------------------

EDIT: Marticus has kindly made a self extracting exe for this, so now you can just download that and use rather than extracting firefox etc! It's also smaller!

Scroll Down the page to get that

------------------------

HOW TO USE IT:

extract the config.ini and the install.exe to your extracted firefox install directory, overwriting the old config.ini and your done!.

Note: do not rename the install.exe to firefox.exe, the installer will give you an error!

------------------------

If you need to know how to extract the installer:

open C:\Documents and settings\username\Local settings\temp\ (replace username with your logon)

scroll to the bottom of that

Now from a different explorer window run the firefox.exe setup file (Download firefox)

You will see that when it extracts the files a new folder will be created in the temp directory called something like 7zS184.tmp

open that folder and the firefox install files are in there, copy them to your install folder on your cd.

------------------------

Now you can call install.exe from your install script and firefox will install, including the uninstaller, which is needed as firefox must be unistalled before upgrading.

You could of course just use the modifed config.ini and kill the process after 20 or so seconds, but this won't install the uninstaller, and you could kill the install while it is running!

For those of you who want to mod your own config.ini (for if you use another language) it is simple, the changes needed are:

Run Mode=Auto

[Dialog Select Install Path]

Show Dialog=FALSE

[Dialog Downloading]

Show Dialog=FALSE

I had a few others, but none of which had any effect on the running of the program.

If there is any probs, let me know, otherwise enjoy!

well I'm glad everyone got firefox to work this way, but personally I used the method talked about in another firfox thread. I basically downloaded mozilla 1.7 web installer and firefox setups and replaced firefox setup with mozilla 1.7 setup from the temp and it worked. good work though for those who couldn't get the method I described to work.

I actually had not noticed the other methods, I saw that someone had made a custom .msi for 0.8 but had not seen anything on 0.9. I tried making a custom msi, but didnt work very well as I already had firefox installed (oops!). This way seemed alot simpler (it is the same method as for AVG antivirus)

surprisingly the script is only around 3 actual lines, it just wait until it finds a window called install complete, then sends space tab enter, then minimises the window (it seemed to hand around for a few seconds otherwise)

Update: keep reading this thread, look for my more recent posts for more information and to obtain newer versions of this installer.

This is an AutoIt package, no? This is something I haven't played with. Everything I need to install has full silent installation support. I guess this is a first for me.

For those of you who wish to build an IExpress Wizard self extracting installer using m00j's autoedit installer, follow the directions found on another page on this site (do a search), but modify two things. Make sure you select Maximized on the Show window step and optionally check Hide File Extracting Progress Animation from User on the Package Name and Options step. Here is my finished product. As with anything downloaded, be paranoid and scan for viruses and such. Make sure you only get FirefoxSetup-0.9-Marticus.exe from the following site and no other place. I will not support this if you do (not much to support really).

http://www.marticus.org/files/unattended/

Not sure if I'm reading it right. I downloaded the copy that Marticus referenced.

Do I use the downloaded file in my Install directory, or do I extract it and put all the files in the folder?