Slow startup problem

barryfl

I have just put a new digital cam on to my pc and have noticed that my system takes an extra 4 minutes to load...I have applied service pack 1 in the hope that this will solve the problem but no joy. Does anyone know of any microsoft patchs that will solve this problem

Many Thanks

I have just put a new digital cam on to my pc and have noticed that my system takes an extra 4 minutes to load...I have applied service pack 1 in the hope that this will solve the problem but no joy. Does anyone know of any microsoft patchs that will solve this problem

The Digital Cam use drivers and so they are loaded @ start up. I would suggest you use BootVis.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/syspe...ot/default.mspx

Above is the link that will explain all that you need to know about the program.

If used correctly, it will decrease the time it takes for you system to boot.

Try searching the manufacturers website. What model camera is it anyway?

I've used bootvis before but recently I've stumbled upon this article:

Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/syspe...ot/BootVis.mspx

I'm guessing that bootvis will probably speed up this process somewhat but Windows XP will due this automatically over time.

4 minutes is much too long for any normal boot of Windows XP. 4 minutes plus the normal boot time is even worse.

Typical problem when adding USB devices, including scanners. Because of the plug and play feature, at start up, XP takes some time to detect and recognize the hardwares installed, then load the drivers. Maybe you can just pull out the webcam when not needed and only plug when needed. You can also try running "msconfig" and check what programs are started during startup and maybe disable most of the trash in startup.

what i do about this problem.

I've a canon scanner I plug it in when I use it, if i don't, it slows down the startup of the system.

well as said xp searches for p&p devices at startup, i know it searches all my other devices but my scanner makes some noise, the "head" of it moves up and down for a sec and that slows the system down. I don't know why the scanner feels like doing that up & down movement but anyways.. solution is easy and since its a usb device I mean just unplug it at startup.

but I must say this happens after the boot logo, so its at when loading windows. so u're problem might just be a bootvis type of problem..

1 thing to add to this I had a cdrom and with bootvis I found out that it was causing the delay. but nothing I could do about it since it uses the normal cdrom.sys, so I got rid of it... but that's unlike your situation, its a camera u can unplug it easly at any time...

I've usb ports in front of the box so that's very usefull..

for its processes running at startup u can easily disable them and run all of them with a simple batch file when u want to use it.