squeeze your drivers directory via sfx

Jjazz

Hi,

I have squeezed my hudge drivers directory to get more place for the application software on an unattend cdrom.

Create with the 7-Zip file archiver a self extractable file (i use the compressed windows version, 7zC.sfx )

# 7z a -sfx7zC.sfx FullOfDrivers.exe Drivers\* -r

a = add

-sfx = sfx format

-r = recursive

Modifie your winnt.sif file and add in the [GuiUnattended] section:

DetachedProgram="%systemdrive%\FullOfDrivers.exe"
   Arguments="-y -w%systemdrive%\temp -o%systemdrive%"

-y = y for all

-w = temp dir (mine was previously existing in $OEM$\D\Temp, i don't know if it is required or not)

-o = where to

You will have a nice tiny windows during the extraction.

And don't forget to have your OemPnPDRIVERSPath well configured. Paths should look like the extracted directories.

I have won at least 30Mo of new free space.

@+

Jj

@Bâshrat the Sneaky

Right, i'll do that next time. I made only a little and fast test :)

@my2001

it is so huge because i need drivers for printers, video, tv, scanner, etc. But you are right, i could say i need a DVD+R9 to perform a full install next time :rolleyes:

@+

Jj

@Hi2001

Could be but not, i'm only trying to build an easy maintainable cdrom. So i didn't want to optimize neither drivers nor packages. The cdrom should stay as generic as possible :)

Imagine your sister crached her computer and she needs to write her resume because tomorrow she has an important appointment with her future boss. Bad luck you aren't at home and she does understand anything in computers. So an unattend preconfigured install with at least an editor would be necessary.

I really would like to build such cd containing the most useful freeware applications released at the moment like OpenOffice, Gimp and others. But, i will certainly stay with my small 700Mo RW cdrom for a while :rolleyes:. DVD are really too expensive for me :D .

However, thx for your suggestion.

@+

Jj