Harddiscs : Basic or Dynamic?

buggerlugs

I've just added a second harddisk to my windows xp pro pc and discovered i've had to add it and format it in the storage portion of administrative tools/computer management/storage.

My Master C: drive is a 40gb "BASIC" drive with xp on it, and I now have a slave 120gb formated "dynamic" drive and its been allocated the drive letter F

I have a few questions from this little venture.

1. As I'd like to just use this slave drive for storing files and using it for downloading too is it best as a DYNAMIC or BASIC drive?

2. What advantages and disadvantages are there in having it dynamic ?

3. Am I better off having lots of volumes or just one?

4. How can I get this drive letter to "D" and my dvdrom and dvdr to "E" and "F" ?

Master is a 40gb seagate barracuda 4

Slave is a 120gb Maxtor

3. u're better off with 2 drives

4. go to disk management from comp management right click on the drive u want to change the letter of, choose "change drive letters and path" and change it to whatever u want..

3. Am I better off having lots of volumes or just one?

4. How can I get this drive letter to "D" and my dvdrom and dvdr to "E" and "F" ?

Well I used to use dynamic for one reason. I used to combine my drives into on DRIVE D. So, I only have 3 drive letters worry about. But a lil problem cropped up. If I had to reinstall it would break the spanned volume. You can't get back in. When windows came back up it would report missing volume. So for now I left everything to basic cause of that reason. If anyone know how to correct my issue please let me know.

Thanks

3. You mean I'm better off with just two drives or 2 volumes on my new drive?

4. I've tried this, because my dvdrom and dvdr are using D and E the settings for the new drive only allow F onwards

5. Is your avatar a Klingon Insignia?

3. You mean I'm better off with just two drives or 2 volumes on my new drive?

4. I've tried this, because my dvdrom and dvdr are using D and E the settings for the new drive only allow F onwards

5. Is your avatar a Klingon Insignia?

That's what I'd suggest unless someone has a better suggestion.

As for my avatar. You're close it's the Obsidian Order & Cardassian 2nd Order Insignia. I was planning on putting up there Gul Dukat. Thanks for noticing...:)

Change your dvdrom and dvdr to something like x and y. That will free up D so you can make your second hard drive D. Then change your dvdrom and dvdr back to E and F (or what ever you want).

I'm a big fan of one partiton per drive.

1 partition on basic disks

except... I do like to stick a scratch partition on one of my fast drives if i can't dedicate a drive exclusively to it. Logfiles, tempfiles, downloads, caches all go here to help alleviate fragmentation on my other partitions. It gets cleaned out every week or so.