Unattended XP - How to execute WINNT.SIF?

Hello, I'm here trying to make an unattended XP CD. Indeed I don't really want it to be unattended. What I want is just auto-inserting the XP key and all the rest are user controlled. I've got the winnt.sif generated and put it in i386, along with the winnt.bat. But how can I make the installation execute the bat or sif automatically? I tried the CD on vmware, but it still asks me to insert the key, seems like the sif is ignored.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

thanks for the reply, here it is

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]    AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=ProvideDefault

OemPreinstall=No

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=0

[userData]

ProductKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

FullName=""

OrgName=""

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

is it because the UnattendMode is ProvideDefault so that it asks me to enter cdkey? but I've already provided the key in this file. at least it should be displayed in the input.

Change "ProvideDefault" to "DefaultHide". Doing so will hide any pages that you have supplied all the informatio for (eg. CD-Key).

And remove the [Networking] section if you want to do your own networking.

The winnt.sif or unattend.txt is an answer file not a batch.

Check out ref.chm i deploy.cab on u're windows cd u got all the reference there.

The answer file must be for auto-fetch in i386 dir(it works on A:\ too).

If u plan running from HDD(while in windows) try for example(batch):

SET AnswerFile=E:\winxpsp1\i386\unattend.txt

E:\winxpsp1\i386\winnt32 /unattend0:%AnswerFile%

If u plan running from CD(while in windows) edit the autorun.inf with:

OPEN=\i386\winnt32 /unattend0:A:\winnt.sif

If u plan using boot cd put u're answer file in i386 dir or A:\ and use the sintax in ref.chm(it might help u get started).

I'll make a couple assumptions:

1) since you mentioned a .bat file, that you used the Setup Manager to create your winnt.sif file

2) since you mentioned VMware, you want to boot straight to CD for unattended installation on a machine with no OS, or erase current installation.

There is an unattend.txt file already in the regular i386 folder. Just rename to winnt.sif and add this line to [userData] section:

ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Where the x's represent your CD-Key. I could be wrong, since I usually WANT a full unattend after the partition choosing stage and have never left it that simple and tried that way. Otherwise, you could also try using the Setup Manager, but instead of full unattend, set for provide defaults. Then you see every option screen, but with your choices filled in and waiting for user to confirm.

If you intended to say that your CD does not boot, don't forget to make your CD bootable and to set your CMOS setup to boot from CD first before your hard drive.

Hope this helps :)