PEXP installer... NEW VERSION

jdgordon

hey all

0.4 IS UP... OPEFULLY ALMOST FINISHED

ok i did a quick n dirty web site that isnt finished yet but it has the download links... if any1 is bored and wants to donate 15min of thier time to do a guide that would be great :rolleyes:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdgordy/pexp/

- fixed setting importing so lines with spaces before the actual setting now works better

- fixed other random settings

- got it to a basically finished state so i can work on other stuff

- added [Display] and [shell] settings and well as more options

- fixed timezones setting

- added Confirmation window before installing

- added option to view the answer file in a text editor

- major internal recode to make adding more opptions MUCH easier, and hopefully fixed a lot of the crashes (well there wernt that many were there?)

- changed the way the answer file is loaded so u can use your own without worrying about it being overwritten with the default garbage (havta remove than eventually?!

WHAT IS PEXP INSTALLER?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well some of u may have tried my last attempt @ making a prgram that can install winxp (and 2k3 and prob 2k) from winpe allowing you to customize the answers fully before starting. well my last attempt suked, so i got stuck into it and its back... BETTER THAN EVER :)

the biggest change is th gui.. it now fits in a 800x600 screen much better (except the text is all wierd for some reason... if some1 can guess whats the cause itd be a big help)

if you are using pebuilder then simply extract the zip file into the plugins dir and add it next time you make a cd. the only file nescasery is the exe, the ini is just coz im very lazy..

who wants a screenshot???

pexpinst.jpg

the top is the main window, the bottom is 1 of the edit winnt.sif dialogue..

IMPORTANT....

when u press "install windows" it will use watever drive is selected... so make sure u put it in the rigt place.. ill do a confirmation window when i get around to it...

it expects the hard disk to be formatted and ready for windows... however it uses the /syspart swith on the drive so there shouldnt be a problem there....

so could ppl test it and tell me if it actually works?

testing in my virtual PC it installs except you have to manually reboot it when winnt32.exe finishes..

If you have problems with the text please look at this post http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4054&hl=bold or i may just change the default font to tahoma instead of MS sans serif

ALSO....

the program says (if it cant find a winnt.sif file) that clicking install will do a boring standard install.... this is wrong... it will do a install with random info i put in to test it without a sif file... ill change that for the next release

STUFF TODO:

dynamic update

confirmation window

change winnt32.exe parameters

reg hacks.. services etc

more settings

website

suggestions and comments.....

Edited by jdgordon

ok, a few minor bugs to fix up... :)

ok need some input...

atm it looks in the same directory for a winnt.sif file to use for the answers... the location of winnt.sif is where the new answer file will be created with the values given... this needs to be changed... not sure how it should look tho.

any ideas?

also, if ppl post some of the most used reg hacks the'd like included (havnt started on the unnatteded program install yet, i will have the option to just run XPlode after finishing installing...

also... which settings from the winnt.sif file do ppl want in the program? i want to make it as complete as possilbe (without making it too hard to navigate... i think the tabs will get too big with many more pages? )

yeah, so post all suggestion here

NEW VERSION...

- changed the way the answer file is loaded so u can use your own without worrying about it being overwritten with the default garbage (havta remove than eventually?!

link in the top post

Happy to hear about the new version.

One of the most important thing for me (and it's on your todo list) is the choice to launch winnt32.exe with more switches ie

G:\BuildCD\2KCreate\CDROOT\I386\winnt32.exe /s:G:\BuildCD\2KCreate\CDROOT\I386 /unattend:c:\winnt.sif /syspart:c: /tempdrive:c: /makelocalsource /noreboot

you can had checkbox in the main windows to select switches. and a list to select values for each one of these switches that accept a value as parameter (/s: /syspart: and /tempdrive:)

And the text should be more explicit : i would prefer "location of response file" instead of "where to save winnt.sif to". If we use the answerList=2 in settings.ini, winnt.sif is not saved but just read.

I've noticed a crash when the lengh is too long in settings.ini :

winnt32Location=G:\BuildCD\2KCreate\CDROOT\I386\winnt32.exe

You can add the ability to type the command we want to launch with [GuiRunOnce] section.

Bilou:

im re-coding alot of the internal code coz it plain suked so as soon as thats done ill add more switches options...

yes the text needs to be fixed... ill do that eventually...

it shouldnt crash if its too long... where does it crash? on load? or when u try to install?

guirunonce is coming real soon also...

1st test OK : settings.ini

answerLocation=c:\winnt.sif
winnt32Location=G:\12345678901\I386\winnt32.exe
answerList=2

2nd test KO : settings.ini

answerLocation=c:\winnt.sif
winnt32Location=G:\123456789012\I386\winnt32.exe
answerList=2

Crash during launch before the main windows appears...

for testing purpose, pexpinstaller is copied on the %systemdrive% of my Windows 2000 Pro box with settings.ini and my winnt.sif.

I launch pexpinstaller from Windows 2000 to make a parallel install in another folder than default WINNT. My source (XPCreate build) are on a external USB2 HDD.

ok...

finally finished recoding almost all of the internal code so it is now 100x easier to add options, so tell me which u want most....

link in top post....

i will eventually get around to making a web site for this... eventually..

website and file updated...

ill maybe to a proper guide tomorow

website and file updated...

ill maybe to a proper guide tomorow

problem if settings of answerlist param :

; answerList is the default setting for the drop list titles "Use the file how?"

; 1 = Save the answers to the supplied winnt.sif file (use this option to edit the answers before installing )

don't edit the file : create new one and then erase the older !!! :)

; 2 = Use the supplied winnt.sif file for the answers (editing the settings does nothing for this option)

don't work at all...

I use a script to copy the unattend.sif on %temp% and refer it in the settings as %temp%\unattend.txt !

all works if you put the settings to 2 (don't touch unattend) and set it to 1 before installing (to recover the strings parameter and don't erase the unattend)

another missing parameter is the default destination : (C:\) it select my ramdrive as default...

for all thanks for this job

---waiting for the (soon) available (next) release ;]