unattended win xp upgrade cd

Im trying to create an unattended installation with windows Xp upgrade cd. Is there a way to full windows into thinking it is a full install or is there a way to automate the validation of a previous version of windows. Thanks you in advance for your help...

Yes, but I might by wrong.

Upgrading Windows 98/Me to Windows XP is actually a bit of a misnomer. When you upgrade such a system, Microsoft actually examines your installation, moves your documents and personalized settings to a backup location, and then performs a clean install of XP. Then, it goes back and applies those personalized settings to the new OS and moves your documents into the correct location (My Documents, which is located in a different place in XP than it was in 9x/Me). This is why it requires so much free space for the upgrade.

So to sum it up. The files are there to do a clean install of XP, hence the answer YES.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually I think what he (and I want to do) is make it so XP will to an unattended setup with an upgrade CD. You see if you install XP from booting the CD with an upgrade version, it asks you to insert a 98/me/2000 setup CD to verify that you have a copy of a legal upgrade. What he (and I) want to know is there a way to slip the needed files into the CD so that setup will see this and ignore the request.

use to be like win.com or some other file. And if you just had a file named that - it would work.

old days you just needed the first floppy for Win 3.1 or 95.

maybe just put some of the root 98/2000 files from the old cd on the new cd?

or add the 98 cd to the xp cd? maybe skipping files (try skipping the cabs?)

One way is to modify the CD files, and burn a new CD which thinks of itself as a full (retail) version - instead of what it was (an upgrade CD will not allow clean install by itself, as already told above by Marshalus).

That requires modifying just one file on the XP CD, but describing that here would be considered breaking rules. Try a google search for changing an upgrade CD into a retail. But if you want to stay within limits of legality, and not hack things - I guess you have to figure out a solution (which doesn't exist, it's impossible).

@Mods

If this post is illegal, delete it by all means - but I don't think supplying just this info could be interpreted as cracking

i think what the are talking about is changing the xxx in the file. i have tried changing it using some different #s but nothing works so far. but i haven't heard of a way to do it other than the pid#. not even too sure are some tries if it even would work that way. that and i haven't heard of it working at all. i wouldn't suggest doing it either, hence illegal.

sorry guys, got to far ahead in the game.

Edited by diesel_98a

haven't heard of it working at all. i wouldn't suggest doing it either.

There you go, the cat is out of the bag (diesel gave you the hint dudes, go to google). And FYI, it works exactly as is supposed to. Not had it fail at all. Suggesting not to do it is a matter of legality, of course.

not that it matters but it is in some other post any how on this forumn. how do u think i found it. a little searching always does the trick. but i will edit it then. just saving my own, if u get the drift. its all about the morals.