SP2 - Missing copyright year at windows XP boot

jamesagmoore

With SP1 and before, the Windows XP bootscreen had the year:

Copyright © 1985-2001

Microsoft Corporation

With SP2 it just has:
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation

Could it be Microsoft are ashamed that it may well be 5+ years between Windows revisions, and don't want users reminded of that fact at every boot??

That's not to mention XP was no huge revolution from the existing 2000.

ya, it was MUCH better when microsoft released a new version of win9x every year forcing people to fork out $100 to upgrade there OS every year. That was MUCH funnier.

-gosh

Obviously the rate of progress has slowed. In the absence of competition, Microsoft has been allowed to rest on its laurels.

See from 1995-1999 we went from Windows 95/WinNT3.51 to Windows 2000. From 1999 to 2004(5,6,7 maybe??) its Windows 2000 to Windows XP SP2.

We witness the same with IE. Speculation that the IE team has been reformed in the face of competition from Firefox etc.

Unfortunately there is no equivalent for the current desktop operating system. So we are in for a long wait for the next update.

Obviously the rate of progress has slowed. In the absence of competition, Microsoft has been allowed to rest on its laurels.

Um i beg to differ, Longhorn is a very big task, it requires a lot of effort and is quite revolutionary, the time taken i feel is justified because it will be the OS to die for.

Also i did notice that, another thing weird about it is that the Professional part is missing too, odd.

Microsoft spends billions of dollars every year on research. The whole idea that microsoft stopped working on windows because of lack of competition is just hog wash. The reason why a newer version of windows hasn't been released is very simple - it's not needed. What this shows is that software has matured from the early 90's. I can't believe im even responding to such a stupid post as this. Go back to slashdot microsoft hater!

-gosh

Your logic is flawed:

Microsoft spends billions of dollars every year on research
The reason why a newer version of windows hasn't been released is very simple - it's not needed

Why would they spend billions of dollars, if no new versions are needed?

BTW please try to keep your emotions under control