XP CD Generator

Suggestions?? Additions?? Comments are welcome.

xpcdgen.gif

It does not download any patches, it just uses the ones that you provide

It copies them to the image to install them as shown here: http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/installhotfixes.htm

and ISO's them as shown at http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/finish.htm

I may include a "Slim Image" option as shown here: http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/space_saving_tips.htm just because I have a huge amount of drivers that may need to go on various machines in my org. (Darn Dell and Compaq... why can no 2 models use the same NIC :) )

The Accessories check boxes can modify all sorts of 'global' settings... not just simple ini values

"Import" buttons are "browse for file"

"Open" buttons open the specified folder on the local machine, so files can be dragged in from where ever you DL them

I intend this to be a convenient method of updating a Image and provide a simple method of updating the winnt.sif and adding patches.

I suppose that it wouldn't be too difficult to modify it to do win2k images, I'll save that for later. Too many of the check boxes would need to be changed... unless I did it in a tabcontrol... I dunno.

There will be mouseovers to provide a bit more detail than the simplistic labels, But I expect this to be a bit more of an admin tool than for the average end user, but I doubt that many average end users wind up on this site. :D

And yes, I've seen XPCREATE, but I'm not trying to duplicate GM's excellent work. I'm looking more at making customized & automated XP Images after burning the ISO, GM's is more of an automated method to update a CD before burning the ISO.

I may have a 'alpha' that is testable by the end of the next week or so. The Wife is going on vacation and taking the kids next week, so I should be able to get some work done :rolleyes::D

I've updated it a bit.

Items functioning so far:

the CD drives on the PC gets enumed for the makeISO routine

The CD gets ISO'd to the HD

the ISO on the HD gets extracted to the working folders

the accessory/option checkboxes modify the winnt.sif file

the create ISO and Burn ISO function.

it is just all the stuff in the middle that needs some work.

Anyone know of a freeware/openlicense ISO extractor... with a command line or COM interface. WinRAR works, and I expect most people to have it, but I'd like to have a diferent method.

I seem to rember that the fellow who wrote WinImage had something along those lines, but I may be mistaken ... I can't place it, but I know I came across something like that when searching for tools to extract/create SFX floppy images.

As for WinRAR, I know am not your "typical fan of the game", but I do not install WinRAR, as it is not free, and I don't like the way it "takes over". I do, however, use the free command line version (surprise, surprise)

I'm adding a wrapper for iexpress:

iexpresswrapper.gif

Am I missing anything obvious or overdone it??

I'm considering some type of grep routine to go 'fishing' in the file looking for 'hint' as to what type of package it was made with.

or would some type of ini file be more appropriate... of course setup.exe wouldn't be very distinctive for an ini file. :)

I think both Type I and II hotfixes have "fingerprints" that would be easy to find. Type II probably have "WEXTRACT.EXE" somewhere, as that is the extractor engine. Type one have a file inside UPDATE.EXE.

For IExpress packages, I like to define the Window Title (don't remember the option name, but it exists). I've also stopped repacking into switchless exe's, and add prompts "Do you wish to install ..." and "... completed", and then call the repacks with the /Q:A and /R:N switches if needed.

IExpress also has "special" treatment of a designated .inf file, but I have not delved into that at all. Perhaps it is as simple as calling the default install in the inf, I really do not know. If you go this route ... keep us posted as to how it works!

anything is possible... But i'd like to make it work for 1 OS first :)

The principles are the same for any OS... just a bit of modification in some of the details that are particular to any given OS.

Of course, I haven't even seen 2003 yet, so I'm just guessing there.

BTW... for those of you that care :rolleyes:

I'm writing this in a scripting language called Kixtart http://www.kixtart.org using an addon KixForms http://www.kixforms.org

If you have ever used BASIC or are used to batch scripting, you will LOVE this language... easy and freeform and very powerful. and careware/freeware as well. :)

A single EXE for kixtart, a single dll for kixforms, and notepad is all you need.

patience... I've only been working on this for 3 days.

Now just remember, this is intended to be an admin tool.

You will be required to provide the patches and apps to install and the switches for each

If you want something not as 'technical' and easier to build and update a CD, Check out XPCreate. GM did a great job in automating the process of updating and making a CD.

the GUI is almost complete, buttons, child windows, etc.

It will create the unattended files from scratch (default templates for WINNT.sif, regtweaks.reg, cmdlines.txt and svcpack.inf, etc)

It also creates the subfolders for the app.

I was looking into DL'ing the dependency files, like cdburn.exe etc, but perhaps not... Providing links may just be enough.

I'm about to wrap the hotfixes into iexpress packages including the self extracting switches.

I just want to remind those that are interested in this, that this is an admin's tool, you will need to know what switches are needed, you will need to know at what point you want each to be installed, and you will have to DL the patches yourself ahead of time.

I am looking into a method of determining the switches required by each patch/exe through some automated routine, but I may rely on operator input... like running ewach patch once imported through a /? and having the operator verify the appropriate switch... dunno, that part is still under consideration.

Some of these dependencies may not be that much of an issue for some, As I have already available on my nework the tested/approved patches for deployment, so it isn't much beyond selecting each one.

If you want a set it and forget it tool, see XPCreate by GreenMachine

• 2 weeks later...