Forcing a Monitor install?

Fonceur

Thanks to this site my unattended CD is almost done and I just need to iron out some little problems here and there...

My first problem is that Windows XP corp installs a Plug and Play monitor instead of the monitor file that I put in my driver folder (.inf file that I created with Powerstrip for my HDTV). Is there any way to force it to use that monitor file instead? By searching the forums all I could find was someone thinking about doing that, but not actually doing it...

But did you test your CD using VMWare or VirtualPC?

I am doing an actual installation on a spare drive, since it is so easy with a CD rw... :) I just don't like getting stuck with 720x480 until I load the monitor .inf file myself...

Do you use a D-SUB-cable, i.e. not BNC?

I am connected by a DVI cable... I know that there is no way for Windows to check that specific monitor file and say "oh, that monitor would go well with that driver file", which is why my question is about a way to force a driver install for a specific hardware (my monitor)... :)

I use the following to update my monitor:

"devcon update "D:\drivers\sony\sonylcd.inf" "Monitor\SNY0280"

This line is in my cleanup.cmd file, and the devcon.exe file is in the system32 folder. Works a treat!

I assume that the correct settings would be used automatically at installation time if you put the monitors INF, ICM and CAT files into the OEMPnPDriversPath.

The monitor needs to support PnP for this to work.

To update the driver after installation you can use devcon.exe as mentioned by Tyke. If you need to detect the device automatically you could also delete the device and have Windows detect it. This may also be done with devcon. You need to put the driver files in OEMPnPDriversPath first.

I didn't try this with monitors yet but it works with other devices. So why not with monitors?

Here you go try this works

every time for me and the

Gentleman who posted it "Cydine"

I edited monitor.inf in I386 and commented out the line:

%*PNP09FF.DeviceDesc%=VESADDC.Install,*PNP09FF

then added my monitor driver via OemPnPDriversPath.

This way drivers are installed whether signed or not.

Cydine

good luck

bonedaddy

I use the following to update my monitor:

"devcon update "D:\drivers\sony\sonylcd.inf" "Monitor\SNY0280"

Thanks Tyke, that method did the trick! I got the devcon file from MS site and the .inf monitor file had the internal model name of the monitor. So I ended adding this to my cleanup.cmd (the start /wait is probably overkill for that but...):

start /wait %CDROM%\Apps\devcon update "%CDROM%\Apps\Hitachi_50v500.inf" "Monitor\HTCD7A6"

I tried the bonedaddy/Cydine method but it did not work in my case.

And how could you do this in a universal way? Instead of specifying a monitor I mean...

If you are sure to include all the right monitor drivers that you might need, I guess you could use the method mentionned by bonedaddy and maybe remove even more default/plug and play monitor detection... This way it would have to fall back on your new drivers instead. It would probably be tricky to find out what to remove though...