remote shutdown/psshutdown problems

shapeless

Ok, there 4 windows xp pro computers on this LAN, all in the same workgroup. I want to be able to go between them and be able to remotely use shutdown.exe or the pstools.

but its not working, I supply the correct username and password of an admin on the machine, yet it says error code 5 access denied. unfortunately i dont know why its access denied, so i was wondering if someone could help me through this to get it working.

I had it working between 1 computer and another ONLY, but I couldn't find out what the difference was between them that made it work(since then i formatted one, and now none work). But i know that machine1 only had to supply a username and password of a known admin on machine2 and didn't have to have that username on his computer locally for it to work, contrary to what some people have told me.

anyone wanna help me out with this? MS doesn't do a good job of explaining it, im sure it requires some services and other things, but they assume you have everything ready and that its a piece of cake.

ive been to about 3 forums, and none of them could make it work

remote registry is enabled on all computers. we all have working LAN activity. we all have IPX, TCPIP, netbios installed, can browse files fine.

EDIT: and WMI service is enabled on both as well

we can ping each other. we can file share. we can play LAN games. we can do it all. EXCEPT get admin rights on each other.

also just in case there is a possibility it has an effect. we are all connected to a linksys dsl router, its wireless but we are all using cords to the switch part. and all using 10.9.8.* address. doubt it would matter, but just in case!

Yes.

btw, between 3 computers it's working now. BUT not on the 4th, so i still haven't figured it out completely. when i turned off simple file sharing on all 4 computers, it automatically started working between 3 of them. the 4th still gives access denied, now just need to figure out why.

Dought, simple file sharing sux! And my guess is that all the computers need to be manually rebooted to refresh the settings in the "Master Browser".

to disable it look here:

http://www.thomas.edu/it/disablemb.asp

to find out what it is look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;102878

same for XP just couldn't find the article.

so i should disable master browser on all of them and reboot?

also, now that I have this new sharing mode. i can't access any shares on the computer. a login screen pops up with a greyed out login saying PC1/Guest, and lets do a password.

but guest password doesn't work, it really doens't give me a chance to get access to the share. in permissions, its set to everyone for read control. any idea how to make shares work again?

so i should disable master browser on all of them and reboot?

also, now that I have this new sharing mode. i can't access any shares on the computer. a login screen pops up with a greyed out login saying PC1/Guest, and lets do a password.

but guest password doesn't work, it really doens't give me a chance to get access to the share.  in permissions, its set to everyone for read control. any idea how to make shares work again?

Open Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Local Security Settings

on the left pane expand Local Policies and select Security Options. Now select the following setting in the right pane:

Network Access: Sharing and Security Model for Local Accounts

Right click and select properties. Change the drop down to "Classic - Local Users authenticate as themselves".

Click OK and close all the windows. Now Right click on any folder in explorer and invoke the properties dialog. You should be able to share (just like in Windows 2000).

Hope that helps... :)