Changing Program Files Partition

I looked around a little bit and didn't see any posts that addressed this.

But anyways I have a sorta Unique way of setting up my windows, I have Windows installed on a 5 Gig partition set up as C:, then I have the PAGEFILE setup to a 2Gig partition set up as D:, and my program files install onto a 23 Gig partition set up as E:

Is there anyway that I could get Windows setup to automatically partition and format this setup, and install the folders to their respective places? I'm a newbie at Unattended Windows Installs, and was just wondering if this was possible, and if so, how do I set it up? any help is greatly appreciated.

- Komakala

Hi Komakala,

Seems that you have the same questions as mine. Thanks to dustinwmew for your support. How about the komakala questions..format those drive? In the forum I only found formating drive where the OS will be install.

Hi dustinwmew,

Some applications don't use c:\program files as default installation directory. Do your method will help for this type applications?

Thanks for your time

I tend to use mountvol for mounting a seperate partition under C:\Program Files - I don't usually do it unattended as the identifiers change each time I change the partitioning scheme.

It would be possible to do this unattended, but with data at stake, I prefer to screw things up manually :)

Question 1:

either do the partitioning manually yourself (with Partition Magic or Fdisk).

[of course set Autopartition=0 in winnt.sif]

---- or ----

convert your CD to use the WinPE loader, and automate it to run a diskpart script and the setup after that.

Question 2:

Locating the Program Files folder --------> Dustinwmew has already answered this.

@ yadzil

Some applications don't use c:\program files as default installation directory.
Yes, there's nothing you can do about the default behaviour (except to use installer switches, or use MST transforms for MSI's).

Wraith's recommended procedure is interesting, but as he admits, it is not automatable

Question 3:

On WinXP pro, do this to silently set your pagefile:

cscript //nologo //B //T:600 %systemroot%\system32\pagefileconfig.vbs /change /I 2 /M 2 /VO *

cscript //nologo //B //T:600 %systemroot%\system32\pagefileconfig.vbs /Create /I 2048 /M 2048 /VO D:

It is recommended to not completely eliminate a pagefile from your SystemDrive (i.e., the C: drive).

Look here (in tweak no.17 on the page) for more details.

setup the unattended adding this":

ProgramFilesDir="e:\Program Files"

CommonProgramFilesDir="e:\Program Files\Common Files"

under [unattended] ;

I used these commands under [unattended]:

ProgramFilesDir="%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Progs"

CommonProgramFilesDir="%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Progs\Common"

But setup didn't change the folders. They're still Program Files and Common Files under C:\

Is this because I've slipstreamed SP2 RC2?

• 2 weeks later...

Is anybody have complete list of directory switch? I like to change my document, my music and my pictures directory to another path? Anyone knows? I like to have the complete list.

Thanks