virus

raptor

My daughter has a virus on her windows 98 computer ,it is a black and white spiral that prevents you from seeing anything behind it ,she tried norton virus 2002 but cant see the boxes behind the spiral,what can we do ,instructions need to be basic we are novices.

Its likely this virus will not be activated in Safe Mode, to enter Safe Mode, do the following:

Switch on your PC, when it says "Starting Windows 98..." quickly press the F8 key on your keyboard. A menu will appear, simply choose safemode.

Open Norton Antivirus 2002 and remove the virus, if it detects it. I'm not sure if you can get Internet Connectivity in Safe Mode in Windows 98 to fetch the updated virus definitions. (its been a long time since I used it).

If that doesn't help, then you should insert your Norton Antivirus 2002 CD and restart the machine. Press DEL to enter the BIOS and in one of the options, change the 1st Boot Device to CDROM. Save and Exit. Your CD should start up instead of Windows 98 and scan for viruses.

• 4 years later...

The Above is a good advice but an even better one is to stop the Program from starting.

Got to RUN then type MSCONIFG,

the go to >>Startup. And then Look at the list fo startup programs.If you see a program that u never installed before ,then follow the path where the program is and delete it.If not then uncheck the box to that program and it won't start again.

The Above is a good advice but an even better one is to stop the Program from starting.

Got to RUN then type MSCONIFG,

the go to >>Startup. And then Look at the list fo startup programs.If you see a program that u never installed before ,then follow the path where the program is and delete it.If not then uncheck the box to that program and it won't start again.

but be careful, there are some programs that are part of windows and you never installed them, and obiously you must make this in safe mode

I don't,its not a big problem for me to find out whats running on my PC.in fact its safer to always make sure time to time that all active(hidden) startup programs are the ones you know.