HELP! about CDSHELL!

gunyunzi

is there any way that could launch a floppy image bigger than 2.88M by memdisk?

i tried N times, but it did't work.

here is my very simple code. and i think it should be no problem. why it doesn't work?

cls

print c "\cXX1\cxx. Acronis PartitionExpert 2003 \n"

if $lastKey == key[1]; then memdisk PE.IMA

End

PE.IMA is made by ramdiskNT and the size is 5104KB.

now the question is that does cdshell allow load a floppy image bigger than 2.88M?

thanks for helping. i knew easyboot could solve this problem. and the other way i did't try yet because i have to sleep now.

one question. "Disk Editor" and "mediabuilder.exe" where can i download?

o,mediabuilder.exe is used to make boot floppy disk.

what is "Disk Editor"?

i tried easyboot and it can work.

bcdw looks also can do it, but i don't want to waste a cd-r for only 5MB.(i don't have cd-rw)

i dislike easyboot, so i am still trying by cdshell.

i saw a post said that, and and i confused by its code. it used the bootscriptor for writting code, and isolinux this command i don't know anything about it.

i will be crazy~ :rolleyes:

where could i find some good tutorials of cdshell?

and could you tell me how could i add Acronis PartitionExpert 2003 to a single cd and boot by cdshell step by step? please~ :)

1. Lets start with True Image. Depending on how you got the software, somewhere there should be a file called mediabuilder.exe. Rename this file to mediabuilder.zip

2. I use winrar so I will be talking about how to do it with this program. Right click on mediabuilder.exe and goto extract.

3. You can extract to whatever folder you want, but please make a note of this folder

4. Once extracted, go to the folder it was extracted to.

5. Delete everything except kernel.dat and ramdisk.dat as these are the only 2 files you will need for loading.

6. You have some options on this step. This is so if you use other acronis products, they do not get mixed up. (I opted for 6b)

6a. You can put kernel.dat and ramdisk.dat in a folder (8 characters long)

6b. you can rename kernel.dat and ramdisk.dat

7. With that done we only have to add it to our booter, which I will cover later as I want to cover adding ALL acronis products at once.

8. Now to talk about Disk Editor. Again, find mediabuilder.exe

9. Run mediabuilder.exe and have it create the first floppy disk of Disk Editor. This is all that is needed to run Disk Editor so you can end task mediabuilder now.

10. Now for the big one OS Selector.

11. If you have a zip/jaz/sparq/ls-120 or sometime of removable media bigger than 5MB, this is very easy. If not, I will be talking to Doc and Bart and hopefully they will post where to get the bootloader for OSS.

12. Run mediabuilder.exe and select your removable media as the target.

13. This will create everything needed to run OSS, but we do not want it on removable media, we want it on the cd. This requires a ramdisk preferably ramdisknt or the likes as this program saves the image for you and it requires bbie and mkbt from barts website.

14. Run bbie on your removable media and this will create a file called image1.bin...if it creates more, delete the others as we are only interested in image1.bin.

15. Setup ramdisknt as a 5MB hard drive.

16. run mkbt image1.bin b: (B: is my ramdrive)

17. Copy all files from your removable media to the ramdrive.

18. Have ramdisknt save the image

19. Now you are done with OSS and should be done with all other acronis products setup.

20. Now to add them to a booter, I use bootscriptor so I will post the menu I use in bootscriptor...If you use isolinux, it should be fairly easy to transform this into an isolinux setup, or moreover even a diskemu setup.

This is my acr.mnu which I load with bootscriptor as "script acr.mnu" (minus the ")

print l "1. Acronis Disk Editor\n"

print l "2. Acronis Drive Cleanser\n"

print l "3. Acronis Migrate Easy\n"

print l "4. Acronis OS Selector\n"

print l "5. Acronis Partition Expert\n"

print l "6. Acronis Recovery Expert\n"

print l "7. Acronis True Image\n"

print l "8. Acronis True Image Deluxe\n"

getkey

onkey 1 goto dske

onkey 2 goto dcln

onkey 3 goto migr

onkey 4 goto oss

onkey 5 goto apex

onkey 6 goto rcvx

onkey 7 goto true

onkey 8 goto tdlx

dske:

memdisk /tools/images/diskedit.img

dcln:

isolinux /bscript/putlkrn.dat quiet append vga=vesa load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=11000 initrd=/bscript/drvclnsr.dat /S

oss:

print c "Serial: \n"

getkey

memdisk /tools/images/oss.img

migr:

isolinux /bscript/putlkrn.dat quiet append vga=vesa load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=11000 initrd=/bscript/migeasy.dat /S

apex:

isolinux /bscript/kernel.dat quiet append vga=vesa load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=11000 initrd=/bscript/partex.dat /S

rcvx:

isolinux /bscript/recvexp.dat quiet append vga=vesa load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=11000 initrd=/bscript/recvrex.dat /S

true:

isolinux /bscript/kernel.dat quiet append vga=vesa load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=11000 initrd=/bscript/trueimg.dat /S

tdlx:

isolinux /bscript/truekrn.dat quiet append vga=vesa load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=11000 initrd=/bscript/truedlx.dat /S

In this example I will show you how to create the boot files for all Acronis products and call them from CD Shell.

You will need the following :

A full retail product from Acronis

BCDW add-on for CD-Shell v 1.50z <----Updated 9.28.04

CD Shell v 2.0.11 or higher

WinISO v 5.3

A CD-R Burner (preferably a CD-RW Burner)

I am going to use Partition Expert 2003 as an example. This method however applies to all Acronis products.

–-Make the boot files

1. Install Partition Expert 2003 and choose to create a boot disk either during installation or via the Bootable Rescue Media Builder. Choose to burn it on a CD-R.(I use CD-RW’s for this)

2. Make an ISO image using WinISO or any ISO utility of the CD you just made.

(Partition Expert will be ~5mb)

3. Open the created ISO image with WinISO and choose to ‘Save boot information to file’ and save this file as PartEx.wbt.(Your .wbt will also be ~5mb)

F.Y.I. – You will not see any files or folders listed when you open your ISO. True Image 7 and + is the exception.

***The folder in a TI .iso is called 'Recovery Manager'. If you wish to have the option to activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager or modify the Secure Zone you must place that folder at root of your cd and burn with joilet.

–Prepare CD Shell for Acronis .wbt’s

The BCDW.csm allows you to boot .wbt files. Some products work this way, some do not. The entire Acronis product line does boot via .wbt.

1. Download the BCDW add on for CD Shell.

2. Take the file BCDW.csm located in the ‘modules’ folder and place it in the ‘modules’ folder of your CD Shell project.

–Put it together and make the cdsh.ini

1.In this example, we will put our Acronis wbt files in a folder called ‘Acronis’.

The Acronis folder will then be placed in the ‘boot’ folder of our CD Shell project. This way we don’t have to look at any additional folders or files at root level of our CD and it allows for easy transport and updating of Acronis products across CD Shell builds.

So far we have done this:

ROOT

––boot

–––-Acronis

–––––––-PartEx.wbt

–––-modules

–––––––-bcdw.csm

2. Make a menu entry in the cdsh.ini for Partition Expert 2003. Here’s mine,

print "\c02 F6) Acronis PartitionExpert 2003 \n”

To call Partition Expert,

if $lastKey == key[F6]; then bcdw /boot/Acronis/PartEx.wbt

Enjoy!

-If you place the wbt files in a different location please be sure to understand the difference of ‘\’ and ‘/‘ as it is used in CD Shell.

-This method uses CD’s to make the wbt’s, not floppies. Use a friend's CD-R if you don’t have one.

-I don’t include the build number in my cdsh.ini or in the actual filename of the .wbt. I keep it generic so I do not have to constantly make changes to my cdsh.ini.

Here is a short, cdsh.ini of mine

cls

print "\n\n\n"

print "Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Multi-Boot\n"

print "  1)  Professional \n"

print "  2)  Server \n"

print "  3)  Advanced Server \n"

print "  4)  Datacenter Server \n"

print "\n"

print "\c02Utilities\n"

print "\c02  F1)  Windows XP Recovery Console \n"

print "\c02  F2)  Windows 98 + NTFS Bootdisk\n"

print "\c02  F3)  DPOSoft HDD Regenerator \n"

print "\c02  F4)  Ontrack Data Advisor\n"

print "\c02  F5)  Ontrack Disk Manager for DOS\n"

print "\c02  F6)  Acronis PartitionExpert 2003\n"

print "\c02  F7)  Acronis RecoveryExpert\n"

print "\c02  F8)  Acronis DiskEditor\n"

print "\n"

print "\c01  Q)  Quit to Command Prompt \n"

print "\c01  R)  Reboot \n"

print "\c01ESC)  Boot 1st Harddisk \n"

print "\n"

MainKey:

getkey 20 boot 0x80

if $lastKey == key[1]; then chain /boot/files/W2KP.DAT

if $lastKey == key[2]; then chain /boot/files/W2KS.DAT

if $lastKey == key[3]; then chain /boot/files/W2KA.DAT

if $lastKey == key[4]; then chain /boot/files/W2KD.DAT

if $lastKey == key[F1]; then chain /boot/files/I386.DAT

if $lastKey == key[F2]; then memdisk /boot/files/98NTFS.IMA

if $lastKey == key[F3]; then memdisk /boot/files/HDDRegen.IMA

if $lastKey == key[F4]; then memdisk /boot/files/DAdv.IMA

if $lastKey == key[F5]; then memdisk /boot/files/DiskMan.IMA

if $lastKey == key[F6]; then bcdw /boot/Acronis/partex.wbt

if $lastKey == key[F7]; then bcdw /boot/Acronis/recex.wbt

if $lastKey == key[F8]; then bcdw /boot/Acronis/dedtr.wbt

if $lastKey == key[q]; then end

if $lastKey == key[r]; then reboot

if $lastKey == key[esc]; then boot 0x80

end

and here is another question, BCDW v 1.50z looks like cannot support CD Shell 2.0.17b? it does not work? and except EASYBOOT, does any else software can support boot IMG more than 2.88m directly?

on reanimatolog's site (homesite for bcdw) you can d/l images of various sizes like 5mb, 10mb,300mb, etc. you can inject the file into those images and put the boot file into them as well. Do a search for this on the 911cd forum for more info. It gets very tricky.Otherwise, stick to cdshell 2.0.11. Unless you are getting really good w/ cdshell, i highly doubt you would need to go up to that version . It's still beta right now anyways.

you are exactly right, i just keep catching the lastest version of every software. that is my interest, but now i think you are right and i am in the wrong way. and the last problem is i always cannot visit www.911cd.net . it displayed "The page cannot be displayed".

• 1 month later...

I used PartitionExpert 2003 (APE2k3) with a different method. I have 2 files for APE2k3 for a total of 4.3 MB.

Go to where you installed APE2k3. Copy the file MediaBuilder.exe somewhere else. Rename that copy to "MediaBuilder.zip" and extract it. You only need "kernel.dat" and "ramdisk.dat". Copy those 2 somewhere on your CD. Now put a option in your CDShell like this:

print "\t[2] Acronis Partition Expert 2003\n"

if $lastkey == key[2];
   then isolinux /boot/utils/bin/ape2k3/kernel.dat quiet append vga=vesa load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=11000 initrd=/boot/utils/bin/ape2k3/ramdisk.dat /S

And thats it.

I've tryed the same technic with DiskDirector 9 but I get some kernel panic when booting the same way!...

CDShell is in beta stage. Reanimatolog doesn't want to update his package each time another beta comes out. He's waiting for a stable version...

• 2 weeks later...

big_gie, now i am currently working with EZBOOT5, it is very simple and useful. Though it may have some shortcomings, but there are more excellences. it can support big image(X>2.88M) directly and make a friendly interface when choose task at the menu.

i will try your way to do it if i have time, thanks for your good opinion!

• 1 month later...

big_gie

Do you know if APE2K3 or any other option can handle an image of an XP MS-DOS startup disk? I have had no luck with memdisk. I want to add an image of the xp floppy since it is the only way to use the fdisk from ME and then be able to format using oformat and cvtaera.

Dennis

• 2 months later...