The BIG Windows XP Services Guide

Aaron

Thanks to Neowin for the link to it, here is what they say about it:

DeviantPC has posted a guide to Windows XP Services. I had a quick look through and can already see that this outweighs previous guides I have seen on XP's services. With the fun look at the Microsoft Description and then "Human description" even if you don't change anything its a good laugh to read and a "real world" look at what those pesky services are doing.

How many people know that disabling services that you don't need can significantly enhance the speed of Windows? “There is a significant gain in performance to be had if certain services are disabled in WindowsXP. It’s just finding the right ones that’s the problem”

Let's take a look through them shall we?

http://www.deviantpc.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=1926

Warning!

Changing the services on your PC can have dramatic side effects in as far as that your PC may fail to boot. Be smart and do a system restore first. Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System restore. We recommend you leave this service running until you are satisfied with the results.

also, go to http://vzone.virgin.net/aaron.stevens/Services.htm if you want an easier job of copying and pasting into Word/Notepad so you can keep it on your PC. :)

I would guess it lowers the usage of RAM, not really a speed gain improvement, but you'll be able to multitask with a lot more programs with more RAM

• 6 years later...

"Unknown host deviantpc.com"

also, go to http://vzone.virgin.net/aaron.stevens/Services.htm if you want an easier job of copying and pasting into Word/Notepad so you can keep it on your PC. :D

"Sorry.

We couldn't find the page you were looking for.

In the meantime please choose one of these options:

* Go back to the page you came from

* Browse the Freespace directory.

* Go to the Virgin Net home page. "

Anybody have a copy of this that they can e-mail or PM to me? Thanks!

Edited by Deof Movestofca

I can't believe that someone had the audacity to change those links in the last 73+ months since they were posted!

Yes, I did manage to catch the following in the heading:

Jul 5 2002, 08:49 AM

Which is why I added the following in my reply:

I never stated nor implied that the author of the article was somehow obligated to maintain the links until the end of time. I merely pointed out that the links no longer worked and specifically requested that if someone had a copy, if I could obtain one from them. But thanks for playing all the same. Edited by Deof Movestofca

Which is why I added the following in my reply:
I never stated nor implied that the author of the article was somehow obligated to maintain the links until the end of time. I merely pointed out that the links no longer worked and specifically requested that if someone had a copy, if I could obtain one from them.
Firstly, if you were aware that you were resurrecting a six year old topic, why didn't you use plain English? "Anybody have a copy of this" was not sufficient to put your point across.

Example:

My presumption that the links on this six year old topic would no longer bear their original fruit were proven correct.

I know this is rather unlikely, but is it possible that someone may still have a copy they could redistribute; thank you in advance.

If you'd like me to play just say the word, you will lose!!!