to passWord or not to passWord?

Dustinwmew

should one use a password for your user name(s)?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. should one use a password for your user name(s)?

• Password? what's a password?
    • no password, habit.
    • no password, I don't care that people by my PC use my user.
    • no password, no one can get to my computer.
    • I have me PC make everone use a Passwords!
    • yes password, don't like people useing my user.
    • yes password, no one around, but safety 1st.
    • yes password, habit.

Serious!!! I'm tellin u man, ur like my idol right now... And I know that if I get married I wanna have my system like that and have my wife be supportive as urs... Cause takin care of a lan is like takin care of kids. So technically u have about 5 extra kids aside from ur own. Plus ur wife, grand kids, etc... UR THE MAN DUDE!!! lol

Its true... I setup my Dell with Remote Desktop, and my Mom didn't have a password set up... So I tried logging in with her username without a password using Remote Desktop and it kept giving me an error...

The downside to this is that if you do what I did above, it screws up whatever account you tried connecting to... :)

ya! I found that out today cause my dad went to logon from my laptop to the family room computer and that error came up. I have no issue with it though, he just needs a password.

I have a similar setup to Joe User 99 (not as many pc's though). I have my comp, my girlfriends, my spare one, the jukebox pc, mum's 3 computers (don't ask) and 2 servers.

I have one server setup as a gentoo firewall and the other is a W2k3 server with PDC, web server, mail server, ftp etc.

I make sure everyone uses passwords because I'm a security freak (or so I'm told). If you don't use a password on my network, you don't get in, it's as simple as that. :)

I'm also looking into a media center but first, I need a bigger lounge room. :S I have my stereo connected to one of my old computers at the moment and using it as a jukebox... guess I could update it to provide video... would be great with all the DivX movies I have.

Anyway, I voted password as a habit because it is.

If you don't use a password on my network, you don't get in, it's as simple as that. :rolleyes:

i did that to my family one night due to a security policy I "accidently" turned on (laugh) and they were so mad at me. Well, at the time I was the only one with a password and no one else did. I was at school when this happened, my mom tried to logon, wouldn't let her in and then she tried my little bro's and my dad's and it had the same "your account has been disabled message". My mom then called my dad to email me (cause my dad has a computer at work and my mom was locked out of the system, lol) and then when I check my email at school I had an angry email from my parents, lol. I went right home and fixed that, lol. Now they all have passwords :)

Yes, passoworded.

Everythings logged in automatically, all passwords are remembered (and promptly forgotten) I'm the only user. More for interoperability's sake than anything.

Now work on the other hand... just about gotta put in a 10 char passwd with 4 classes in it to open a different webpage. *grumble grumble grumble*

Oh that totally blows. I would not give t hem all the passwords... I would just give them their passwords... and if they can't get in, I would remotely take care of the problem.

i would've done it remotally but it was from school and we have too many firewalls that block it.

pretty much im the only one that uses my own computer which is setup in the study room of our house. When my bro use to live with us, he use to use my computer all the time. So I restricted his account to standard no access to contol panel, only display and no access to the J:/ (which is my drive).

He mainly only used it for Office XP and internet thats all he needed.

The guest account is disabled. No friends of mine use my PC. . . . . Coz i dont have broadband only Dial up. :)

• 11 months later...
Yes password, password, password! Can't get enough of that password!!!

I am a security freak, been told that and I am starting to hear it more and more from work..... but I don't care. Passwords, firewalls, Antivirus, Group Policy - snap ins, anti spyware, etc... what ever it takes to secure a network, or home PC, I got it and use it to the full extent possible.

I put a password on my home server that keeps all the good stuff, you know games, music, videos, software, upgrades, patches, misc things. The catch is you have restricted access to it. Passwords and using Group Policy settings with the help of multi users accounts make it easier (believe it or not!). Some users have access to everything - but can only read the data, no changes. Others have full access with read/write permissions. And other users may only view certain things when log onto the network.

So if jimmy wants to watch a movie - no problem. But lets say jimmy tries to install windows updates or wants to browse the server for software or even games, first the server will check his users permissions, then deny him of even seeing the contents. If by chance he was to get it, Group Policy will block attempts at doing those certain things.

I even block Remote Registry, Remote Desktop, access and modifcation of the registry, Turn off FTP Services, Turn off services for wireless, Turn off MSN Mess., Turn Off Win Mess., access to comand prompt, etc... loads more of services that run in the background, (bloatware).

For what we use our network for, it works great.

Another thing is, I do not allow WiFi or any other Wireless devices to access the network because most people are too stupid to configure a Proxy setup - so we never added a Wireless Firewall.

So yes password protect what you can, it will help. Even though there is great password hackers out there and software to do it with, take what ever steps are needed and what you can do might prevent a desater!

"If it's not secure, it's not allowed". (My work modow)

Three comps at home. Each to it's own owner. Don't touch mine. (They like the use of their fingers). No passwords except in games and logins to sites on any of the comps. The only time I ever had a password on my comp was when my ex-sister-in-law was around. I didn't trust her and that turned out to be wise. Everyone in the house shows respect and so do their guests. Period.

Two comps at work. One is solely mine and the other is the company's in general. Same rules. No problems.

DL

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Aegis' post='342629' date='Jun 26 2005, 08:47 AM']I don't password because I use Minlogon.[/quote]

Hehehe, Same here... its great! B)

But I password-protected my computer on startup through BIOS :)

Edited by undeadsoldier

• 2 weeks later...