160Gb Barrier

ABEO

I don't believe in such barriers. The main drive I use is a 200 gig drive, and windows partitions it to it's full extent during setup. So i believe there is no such limit. Perhaps NT4, but not XP.

sometimes, windows will recognise your big harddrive as a smaller one, this can be fixed by reading documentation of your hdd, that the only barrier ive heard of, and it can be fixed by the above mentioned

regards

Hey ABEO :rolleyes:

I have actually had this same situation with a friend of mines computer - it capped the drive off at 160 GB on a stock install of Windows XP - you will ned XP SP 1 to get it up to its full potential - you may also have to obtain drivers from the supplier.

This worked for me and my friend...

Hope this helps :)

Tim

The only limitation with xp rtm is you can only see up to 137 gig partitions unless you install sp1 or higher which enables 48 bit lba - logical block addressing. To use lba you need a lba compatible BIOS, hardware, and OS. XP RTM doesn't support 48 bit lba which is why it fails.

You need to install with a slipstreamed cd (not a regular xp cd then install sp1 later).

-gosh

What is this? Someone is questioning the all knowing Gosh?

Read it and weap:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...3&Product=winxp

This article describes the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can increase the capacity of your hard disk to more than the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

There is a registry tweak but you have to either install a hotfix or sp1. Enabling only the registry tweak alone will probably cause data corruption :)

-gosh