i want to hide a partition in windows xp

crck3rz

Hi guys

I want to clone my systemdrive(c:\) to another partition(which I shall assign as drive Z) using Norton ghost. However i want to hide this partition in windows so that no one can access it and change the files.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Nick

crck3rz,

I would like to do the same as you by cloning drives to regularly to simulate disk mirroring under xp. Can you tell me if ghost will allow you to perform the cloning of a given drive as a scheduled task?

If not ghost, do you know of another?

You can use Ghost to schedule cloning, I have doen this with the Enterprise version. Not sure it can be done with the stand-alone version.

As for creating a hidden partition, Iuse Diskpart to do that, it comes with XP. Open up a console, and enter diskpart. You then enter the diskpart console, type help for a list of commands. You need to select the disk, "select disk 0", then creat a partition.

One thing I have found with the diskpart command, it that you can remove hidden partitions off a dirve real easy, using the "clean" command. Certain PC builders, like Dell, create a hidden partition, 32 megs or so, and put their tools there dor running diagnostics. I use the clean command to get rid of them.

diskpart can also be scripted, so I created a batch file, run diskpart to create a partition, and activate it, then use the format command to format it with NTFS, for buliding a clean system. This is a great use for the WinPE, if you;ve ever heard of that...

Thanks for the replies

Discovered if you go into:

control panel

admin tools

computer management

disk managemnt

right click the drive/partition you wish to hide

choose change drive letters and paths, from the drop down menu

then click remove on the new window that pops up

the drive/partition is hidden

To make it visible again, do the same again only click add instead of remove.

When I tried it there were no adverse side effects to the structure or content of the drive/partition.

Thanks

Nick