Installing Norton Antivirus on Win2k3?

Norton antivirus 2001 (the home version...) doesn't want to install on Win2k3 for me, since it is a server OS.

Does anyone know a way to get around this? Can I just change some environment variable?

I really don't want to buy a special piece of antivirus software for Win2k3, especially since I'm NOT really using it commercially.

Whoa!

There's no ver 8.6

8.1 is the newest available.

Yup, use the corporate edition of NAV (it's called Symantec AV Corp.)

There's ways to make server-rejecting apps (like nav2k1) to work on a server, but it involves registry-editing, so better do what the others here suggest.

Any chance I could get information on these registrry hacks? I'm not associated with any business, and the NAV corporate editions practically require that you buy multi-user licenses, which are upwards of $200 (not in my budget).

Version 9 is the newest ....

Hey, let's catch-up with you !!

I take it that you are referring to the version number shown in NAV's "About" box.

NAV 9.x corresponds to NAV 2003 - NAV2k4 is ver.10

But then, it is not that one we were talking about. The post was about "Symantec" (not "Norton") AV Corp. edition which just happens to have the latest ver. at v8.1 (released in Feb.2004, which makes it newer than NAV2k4).

As for you ProdigySim, while I do want to help out, I don't want to be accused of trying to crack things. The registry keys below were taken from a WinXP SP2 RC1 desktop. All I can say is - for your objective, these should be interesting.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"SubVersionNumber"=""
"ProductName"="Microsoft Windows XP"
"CurrentVersion"="5.1"
"CurrentBuildNumber"="2600"
"BuildLab"="2600.xpsp_sp2_rc1.040311-2315"
"CSDVersion"="Service Pack 2, v.2096"
"CSDBuildNumber"="2096"

Play around with these, and !BAM! enjoy the sweet taste of success.

There's cracking tools available out there which will change your WS2k3 to a non-server plain win2k3, but you need to re-activate after that (which will not take place without some hacking). So those complex possibilities are there if the above info isn't helpful enough.

:rolleyes:

This thread is full of misinformation.

The original poster asks about Norton 2001, next thing you know people are rambling on about NAV 2003 & 2004, and SAV 8, and not even getting their facts straight.

prathampl is not exactly creating light in the darkness. :)

:rolleyes:

This thread is full of misinformation.

The original poster asks about Norton 2001, next thing you know people are rambling on about NAV 2003 & 2004, and SAV 8, and not even getting their facts straight.

prathampl is not exactly creating light in the darkness. :)

I'm sorry you couldn't follow a thread.

As LANJAN had posted, "AFAIK the only NAV that works on W2k3 is NAV corporate edition." I was ammending to his comment by adding, "Corp Ver 8.6 if memory serves me right. 8.1 won't install.".

This serves to answer his question on NAV2K1 freaking out on install. He asks to get around this which you still have not answered, but instead follow the lead set by others by saying version 9.0 is the latest and go to prove that prathampl is confused as well.

ProdigySim, there is a good reason why Win2K3 pops up the warning for software not registered to work on it. If you were able to install an AV program that is written a few years before the OS was, good chance the program would crash the OS.

Whoa!

There's no ver 8.6

8.1 is the newest available.

Yup, use the corporate edition of NAV (it's called Symantec AV Corp.)

There's ways to make server-rejecting apps (like nav2k1) to work on a server, but it involves registry-editing, so better do what the others here suggest.

**** really it doesnt exist....huh well i think i may have to explain to the SAV9 running on my cuputer that it actully doesnt exist and should immedeatily turn back to 8.1

910843sav9.jpg

:)

Just messin with ya mate....

And yes SAV 9 does exist and i have been using it for some months now

|Drew|