can't find run as

reakyrok

i'm ADMIN of XP pro machine

i used to loggon as administrator from (Run as) in the drop menu of any exe file

so i try to do that for another machine but i didn't find the (Run as)

something else i want to ask

how to open all the component of control panel as administrator from user account

and how to open Windows explorer as administrator

trhanks

The "Run As" facility requires the "Terminal Services" service to be running.

Run "services.msc" as an admin and see if "Terminal Services" service is disabled from auto-starting -- if it is disabled, "Run As" will be unavailable.

Alternatively, try creating a shortcut to the .EXE, and edit its properties:

shortcut properties > Shortcut (Tab) > Advanced (button) > Run with different credentials.

For the other 2 queries, do a "Run As" on control.exe (in C:\WINDOWS\system32) and explorer.exe (in C:\WINDOWS) respectively. The hitch here is that both these are already initialised (being part of the windows GUI shell) and are invoked *ONLY* under the currently logged-on username.

So, the simple answer is - no you can't run these as ADMIN from another user account under normal circumstances (a bit of workaround hacking will still facilitate what you want, but it is too long drawn-out to describe here).

What part of the control panel are you trying to access? If I remember right when you try to access something such as the user accounts with a standard user, it will just ask you for the username/password for an administrator account?

The "Run As" facility requires the "Terminal Services" service to be running ...

Umm, I didn't think this sounded right so I reconfirmed what I remember Blck Viper saying about this: Black Viper - Win Xp Services Scroll down the page or find on the page "Secondary Logon". This works for me on my local machine without Term Svcs running.

Actually, I think IP is kind of asking for TWO concurrent capabilities. "Run As" capability alone comes from Sec. Logon Svc. as Black Viper describes.

But to do this on a remote machine, I do suppose you'd need to logon a terminal session -- I've not had occasion to try it because all 3 of my LAN machines are in the same room. :)

My expectation is that Sec. Logon Svc. would have to be running on the remote machine and probably IP would have to have an admin account with identical userid and passwords on both machines.