Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

@midiboy: Yeah you got it :)

Another question:

I'll presume "My Video", "My Pictures" and "My Music" is specified per user.

Now, what if I specify "Personal" as global settings? Should this nevertheless modify "My Video", "My Pictures" and "My Music" per user i.e. renaming to %Personal%\My Video, %Personal%\My Pictures and %Personal%\My Music ?

Or only if they are not specified?

Benjamin

Hey again,

ok, so after I changed this little detail in users.ini, I can absolutely live with the new solution. No need to change back to the old behaviour just for me, Benjamin!

Wihu 2.1 does the same as Wihu 2.0 now.

But it would be nice if those "default shell folders" used for the "default user" would be somehow default for all new users created directly in Wihu ?

Alex

I'll presume "My Video", "My Pictures" and "My Music" is specified per user.

Now, what if I specify "Personal" as global settings? Should this nevertheless modify "My Video", "My Pictures" and "My Music" per user i.e. renaming to %Personal%\My Video, %Personal%\My Pictures and %Personal%\My Music ?

Or only if they are not specified?

I am not sure I know what you mean .... :) Man, am I slow today :rolleyes:

Bye,

Alex

But it would be nice if those "default shell folders" used for the "default user" would be somehow default for all new users created directly in Wihu ?

Yes this is possible like in WIHU 2.0. Just specify it in environment section as usual.

I am not sure I know what you mean ....  Man, am I slow today

If you specify user specific shell folders like:

user.0=username
My Video.0=c:\Videos

...and in install.ini Personal is specified as

Personal=c:\%ThisUser%

Since Personal is always changed as a pair i.e. changing Personal also changes "My Video", "My Pictures" and "My Music", should this also change user specified "My Video" then? Or should I turn of pairing again?

Edit:

I find a good solution for this. I added some status flags for each paired shellfolder. If a paired shellfolder is initially specified in users.ini pairing will be turned off as long as the user don't reset it's path (make path empty in WIHU edit control). Once reseted it will be paired again, i.e. will be changed in pair with Personal folder changing.

Benjamin

Edited by BenjaminKalytta

Ah, I understand now ...

well, I would say pairing was good before we had the possibility to define shell folders in install.ini. But it is less useful now. But you may wait for other people´s opinion.

There should be an override though if people specify "My Video" to be on a different drive than "My Music" that should be allowed.

QUOTE (midiboy)

Yes this is possible like in WIHU 2.0. Just specify it in environment section as usual.

Cool, thanks. So to sum up a bit:

1. Defining shell folders in install.ini applies to all users if not changed in users.ini

2. Defining shell folders in users.ini for the default user applies only to the default user ( which is the first user created in Wihu )

3. Defining shell folders for additional users in users.ini overrides the shell folders in install.ini for those users.

Is this correct ?

Wow, you are great, man ! :)

Sorry, for my slow thinking today !

Bye,

Alex

1. Defining shell folders in install.ini applies to all users if not changed in users.ini

2. Defining shell folders in users.ini for the default user applies only to the default user ( which is the first user created in Wihu )

3. Defining shell folders for additional users in users.ini overrides the shell folders in install.ini for those users.

Yes you are right :)

@all: Changed TreeView behaviour. Sections can also be hidden now. Usage:

[Windows System files]
hidden=1
command.0=...
description.0=...
selected.0=1

*Isn't it possible to use HTML tags here? Would be nice*

benjamin

Yes you are right

Well, I hope I am not doing something wrong again but point 1 is not working yet ?

Could that be ?

Thanks,

Alex

@midiboy. Then please just explain what you have done and what didn't work.

Well, I have added my shell folder definitions to Environment section of install.ini of the latest version. Users.ini is all commented out. If the above 3 points you agreed to are right this should mean that all users in Wihu will get those shell folders from install.ini. But any user I create in Wihu has empty shell folder dialogs. See the picture.

I also tried %ThisUser% instead of %NewUserName% and I tried the [users] section instead of the [Environment] Section ....

The settings page below is from Peter2, but it is the same as the one from Peter.

Bye,

Alex

You are right ... this only applys to users read out from users.ini. But I'll add this for manually created users.

Edit: I changed this now.

Btw. you shoulnd't use %NewUserName% if this shellfolders are intended to be used as every new user default. Please use %ThisUser% instead.

*So I'll go to cinema now to watch new "traumschiff surprise" movie :) *

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin!

I used Wihu to create a user on first windows startup and all works fine but wihu shows me an error. i just want to know what this means or what i m doing wrong.

the log is attached and i used wihu with "wihu.exe /Owner=BitteEintragen /Computer=BitteEintragen /SkipRestart /NoCancel /SkipSoftware /Autologon /Log=log.txt". in my unattended install process i m logging on as an admin on first startup. then i have to restart that the wihu created user is logged on.

can you explain me the error?

log.txt

@prathapml: I've removed source code since this version is beta. If you want them I can provide it.

Edit:

@Cretak: It seems that you din't set a password which isn't allowed initially. To allow this you have to change some settings in policy (Limit empty Password to console logon only = disabled). I changed WIHU so that this will be done automatically when WIHu is running, it will be restored after WIHU exits.

Please download newest beta 2.1.

Benjamin