Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

There are a rare set of programs that have problems when the desktop isn't fully loaded and they try to install. They store stuff in the temp folder and what not that are finished installing when the desktop loads. When Windows restarts, the temp information is typically deleted.

I always let it load the desktop just as a matter of course, and because my CREATIVE AUDIGY doesn't like have a restart for some reason. It will cause a BSOD if it isn't loaded upon first reboot.

So....

Is there a possibility to have WIHU exit it on it's own? Say you run it from CMDLINES.TXT and you leave the computer. It will stay at that finished screen. Or is that what AutoExit does? Wasn't sure, as when I tried, i guess I moved the mouse or something. I jsut wanted like /ForceExit that when it's done installing the software, it automatically exits without doing the wait or whatever, and continues with setup. Like running a hotfix, it does it's thing, and then exits itself and continues setup. (without the restart of course)

And then for the First load (GUIRUNONCE) just like a nowait thing or something so either WIHU doesn't wait for the process to end (manual shutdown call using shutdown.exe) or you set the Restart timer via commandline, and then like above, it exits itself with the shutdown sequence still counting, the desktop loads, and then the system restarts.

Update: The bugs seems to be following: If the username created is the same as the computer name, Windows will not find the right USER SID ... i.e. adding user to administrators/users group is not possible. So I have to ensure in WIHU that username and computername is different.

Under the Windows Naming system, it is not allowed to have multiple users witht he same name, or to have a user called Administrator, or to have a user named the same as the machine (the bug), or to have illegal characters in it(!,.#* and the like)

@all: I fixed this bug in this way that user will be warned if computername and user name are identical.

...or to have a user named the same as the machine
No seems not to be true. Creation of both works well but I've got a problem later to retrieve user SID which will prevent me to call NetLocalGroupAddMembers (adding user to local group).

Why don't you use /skiprestart switch to prevent restarting in combination with /autoinstall=0?

Or is that what AutoExit does?

/Autoexit=<time> should terminate WIHU if no user input is made within specified time. I think I know what you mean. You don't want to press "Finish" Button but also don't WIHU to do auto install ... in this case just specify /autoinstall=3600 or such which will causes to wait 1 hour for input and then do auto installation. If you cancel this autoinstallation by pressing any key, or mousebutton ..., it will then exits without waiting for "Finish" to be pressed.

Benjamin

how should i tell you.

sometimes ther ist no need for sub trees. if i install avg antivirus, there should´nt be a sub tree, only the prog.

if i have programms like thunder bird i want to have a sub tree fü or my profile etc.

so i want to mark programs with sub trees and programms without subtrees.

and i have a question.

i have two command lines for the instalation of winrar (command.0 and comman.1)

i need both to install winrar, so if i hide the second one (hide.1=1) , will it be executed if i mark the other command (command.0) to be executeted?

@Osmosis Jones:

Example:

[This Section, Winrar for example]
command.0=blabla
description.0=Installing Winrar
selected.0=1
command.1=blabla
description.1=Registering Winrar
selected.1=1
hide.1=1

You will only see first command in software component list. If you uncheck it there it will NOT uncheck command.1 because it is hidden and will always be executed.

May be I could change it in this way that also hidden entries will be unselected if section is unchecked.

Benjamin

Why don't you use /skiprestart switch to prevent restarting in combination with /autoinstall=0?
Or is that what AutoExit does?

/Autoexit=<time> should terminate WIHU if no user input is made within specified time. I think I know what you mean. You don't want to press "Finish" Button but also don't WIHU to do auto install ... in this case just specify /autoinstall=3600 or such which will causes to wait 1 hour for input and then do auto installation. If you cancel this autoinstallation by pressing any key, or mousebutton ..., it will then exits without waiting for "Finish" to be pressed.

Benjamin

I do want an Autoinstall.....(leaving the option of a few seconds to select if I want, but Autoinstall) but if I try those settings, WIHU will remain loaded at the page where it wants you to press Finish.

After some testing, it looks like AutoExit might do what I want, but if I use it, but without an AutoInstall, if I go away and miss that part of setup, the whole thing is skipped. Instead, just a switch like /SkipFinishPage so if I go away, WIHU still waits at the screen, but at the end it exits itself without having me to click "Finish" at the end. Understand?

As for the loading of the desktop......

I want the computer to restart itself, but I also want the desktop to fully load prior to doing so. If WIHU does the restart like it does now, the desktop doesn't load. If I use Skiprestart the desktop loads, but it doesn't restart. For the desktop to load, WIHU has to quit, but to restart automactilly WIHU has to stay resident preventing the desktop from loading. Perhaps adding a option in the INI like NOWAIT=1 and if 1, WIHU does not wait for the process to end, it just goes on to the next entry. And if there are no more, the above switch (SkipFinishPage from above) would have WIHU close allowing the desktop to load, but say i called shutdown.exe as the last command, shutdown.exe remains running counting down to restart. Understand?

I'm trying to make the program as flexible as possible. AutoExit could run into the problem where it is intended to be an attended/unattended install to type in the new Owner or change the computer name, but if I left the computer it would close itself when all I wanted it to do would be to close itself AFTER everything i wanted done was done (changing names in this instance).

On the hidden command I believe if you encheck the tree the hidden command shouldn't be executed. But what I think he's trying to say.....

*Tree1

|-ProgramOne

|-ProgramTwo

*ProgramThree

*ProgramFour

Where, say there is only one subcommand it doesn't displayed as a subcommand but as the actual entry.

@Alanoll: I said that before. This /SkipXxx settings will make life harder :) I fixed this bug now. /Autoinstall=<time> will now exit by it self.

After some testing, it looks like AutoExit might do what I want, but if I use it, but without an AutoInstall, if I go away and miss that part of setup, the whole thing is skipped. Instead, just a switch like /SkipFinishPage so if I go away, WIHU still waits at the screen, but at the end it exits itself without having me to click "Finish" at the end. Understand?

Yes this is intended.

I've to do some research to clarify Restart thing.

Benjamin

alrighty, sweeet.....

I guess it would be a bug in AutoInstall. :)

You would think that in an AutoInstall you wouldn't click anything.

Guess I gave a kinda long winded way to describe it though :rolleyes:

How about that restart thing though? You understand what I'm trying to say? I think i explained enough, but if not let me know. I don't think the "bug" in AutoInstall would fix this.

Ok I found it. Some time ago I added /RestartWait=<seconds> switch which allow to specify WIHU to wait for specified amount of time to restart. Unfortunately Windows didn't behaves as expexted, i.e. PropSheet_PressButton(GetParent(hWnd), PSBTN_FINISH); don't call PSN_WIZFINISH notification so that restart didn't work. Please redownload it, it works now ... I've tested it :)

Intention of /AutoExit=<seconds> was only not to interrupt unattended windows installation if no user input is made. This switch is a remnant (leftover) of one of the first WIHU releases where /autoinstall didn't exists yet.

Edit: Some words to tree structure: As I said it will take some time because I've to rewrite entire INI things to be XML ... and believe me handling XML files in C (language) isn't that easy to program. I also have to rewrite software component selection control to allow tree structure.

Benjamin

Next Bug....

this line....

command.0=pause.cmd %NUMPROC%

does not seem to work. NUMPROC is set in the [Environment] in the INI file. However it is being passwed to pause.cmd as %NUMPROC% instead of it's actual value.

Did I do something wrong again? or did I find another bug? :)

If I try %WINDIR% is works fine. The variable is expanded. Perhaps by the command prompt however. Shouldn't it be expanded by WIHU before being passed?

Don't know whether this is a bug or not but when I use the hide.0=1 command to hide a sub command it makes the whole tree disappear. It never use to do this but in the last couple of updates it has done it.

Example:

[Quicktime 6.5]
description.0=Quicktime 6.5
command.0=Applications\Quicktime\QuickTimeFullinstaller.exe /s
selected.0 = 0
hide.0=1

Also another weird thing that happens is when i use 2 exe commands. For example installing nero then the nero bonus pack in the same command set. What happens it hangs wihu.

; Sub command 0
description.0=Nero Burning ROM v6.3.1.17
description.1=Nero Burning ROM Bonus Pack
command.0=Applications\Nero\nero63117.exe /SN=xxx /WRITE_SN /NO_UI /NOCANCEL /SILENT /NOREBOOT
command.1=Applications\Nero\nve2129.exe /SN=xxx /WRITE_SN /NO_UI /NOCANCEL /SILENT /NOREBOOT
selected.0 = 0
selected.1 = 0
hide.0=0
hide.1=0

@simo1234:

If the section only has one command (which is hidden) entire section will disappear.

What happens it hangs wihu.

WIHU will not hang, but WIHU waits for nero to exit. It means nero never exits which causes WIHU to wait.

Just start both manually in command line and take a look at the taskmanager ... Nero shouldn't be terminated ... (stay resident)

Benjamin

If the section only has one command (which is hidden) entire section will disappear.

Could you change this, or make a setting which causes to show the Section, even if all commands are hidden? The commands are just parts of the setup, so they don't need to be visible, but the section should be to still be able to (de)select it.