Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

my2001, it looks like, for the moment at least, he's taken the triangle out. :)

Benjamin, another thing that would be useful is the ability to customize the "Select which additional software should be installed" text (or perhaps append additional text to the end of it). Maybe with support for environment variables?

Also, would it be possible to link up the subitem/tree checkboxes with that of their parent? For example, if my "[ ] Web Browsers" subtree has 3 items in it, and I select items #1 and #3, the parent should automatically show a partially selected state. With all 3 items selected, the parent should also be fully selected and, obviously, if none of the 3 are selected, the parent would reflect that state, as well. Eariler versions used to do this automatically, didn't they?

I've had a couple situations recently where an entire tree has started out unselected and I've gone back and toggled one item but forgot to also toggle the parent... The result was me scratching my head wondering why that item didn't install. :rolleyes:

Also, would it be possible to link up the subitem/tree checkboxes with that of their parent? For example, if my "[ ] Web Browsers" subtree has 3 items in it, and I select items #1 and #3 ....

I know what you mean, but I removed it from WIHU because some here wished it. But Ok I'll support this again next days.

Benjamin, another thing that would be useful is the ability to customize the "Select which additional software should be installed" text (or perhaps append additional text to the end of it). Maybe with support for environment variables?

Why should the user be able to customize this text?

@all: command line switch /Password will change to /UserPwd in next version.

Benjamin

Why should the user be able to customize this text?

Well, if everyone is just using wihu for themselves, there wouldn't really be a need for it.

However, additional text could be useful to those who weren't involved in the setup process. Not all of the wihu users would want to add "Note that items appearing greyed out may already be installed or may be older than installed versions" or "For additional Applications, connect to UBCServer1 after rebooting." In my case, tho (making an semi-unattended installation DVD for co-workers), that additional text helps. I'm sure others can think of some examples, too.

So page header and sub header can be changed now with following settings in install.ini:

[settings]
PageHeaderTitle.0=Title0
PageHeaderSubTitle.0=SubTitle0
PageHeaderTitle.1=Title1
PageHeaderSubTitle.1=SubTitle1

Also, would it be possible to link up the subitem/tree checkboxes with that of their parent? For example, if my "[ ]Web Browsers" subtree has 3 items in it, and I select items #1 and #3, the parent should automatically show a partially selected state. With all 3 items selected, the parent should also be fully selected and, obviously, if none of the 3 are selected, the parent would reflect that state, as well. Eariler versions used to do this automatically, didn't they?

Fixed it. Will be supported now.

Btw. no one here noticed that current WIHU release don't run on Windows 2000 ... so I asked to my self if Windows 2000 support really necessary?

Benjamin

Edited by BenjaminKalytta

Btw. no one here noticed that current WIHU release don't run on Windows 2000 ... so I asked to my self if Windows 2000 support really necessary?

Hhm, is there any difference in programming WIHU to support both windows versions? Is it a big difference?

Hhm, is there any difference in programming WIHU to support both windows versions? Is it a big difference?

Yes it would make things easier ... and as I once said, user shellfolders aren't supported nevertheless at this moment because of the restriction of default user privilege. This is "SeTcbName" which has to be enabled for the user who will start WIHU ... but before this user has logged on.

@all: I found a solution for not storing DefaultPassword as plain text in registry. Please download latest version (2.0.21.0) to take advantage of this.

I also fixed a bug in "Restart Checkbutton" control ... didn't work as expected.

Benjamin

hi,

@Benjamin: Do you think it's possible to add a kind of ballon tip to the application installation?? So, when the user mark a application or the cursor is on a application point that a ballon opens with a short programm description?

thx!

@erther: I think the way it is done now is enough. :)

@all: So Im out of country for some days now. However, I'll answer every posting as soon as possible.

Please also take a look at the new "User Account Advanced Page". Please make any suggestions how this could be designed and also if I should add more features like:

- Account expiration time

- Max User storage

- Logon hours (currently in development)

- User Country id and code page

best regards

Benjamin Kalytta

post-70-1091243400_thumb.png

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for putting so much work into this!!

I'm just starting to make unattended dvd's. I have one quite nice already, however I would like to have a choice in what programs to install. Then I read this thread, and happy I was :)

ok the (stupid) question, Im a noob in these kind of things.

What directory is used to install the software from install.ini.

Say wihu runs from %systemdrive%\Install\Applications\wihu\

and I have

[ACDsee 6.0.3 Powerpack]
command=ACDsee\ACDSee_6.0_PowerPack.msi /qn
description=Graphics viewer & catalogger
default=0

in install.ini.

Where should I put the acdsee programfiles?