Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

Thanks to Benjamin Kalytta from http://www.kalytta.com

I've created a little tool which can be usefull if combined with unattended windows installation. It let the user decied to choose default user name, computer name, owner name, ... after installation (RunOnce).

It's also possible to select software to install. It's agraphical user interface which let the user decided which additional software on cd should be installed after installation.

Source is freely available, may it could be usefull for someone.

Welcome to MSFN, BenjaminKalytta, and thanks for that!

Be carefull, or you will be asked to update your program to do everything, including washing the dishes!

I do like the way it looks like a part of Windows. Quite slick, indeed!

• 2 weeks later...

So this is the last post about WIHU here :) Verion 1.5 is out now.

It's no stable enough to be burned on cd. Please don't forget to set AutoLogonCount > 0 in winnt.sif.

Things that was added in 1.5:

-File-/Registry version compare to prevent installing older or already installed versions

-Several bugs were fixed

-Autoinstall option (see /autoinstall)

-Satus/Error log view is added

Thanks for testing it.

Benjamin Kalytta

I've just had a look at your app, I find it great, three small requests tho.

1) An option to completely skip the username creation, perhaps by a setting in the ini, so it could be used just to install apps, also with a timer that you have some time to adjust the installed apps and if they aren't adjusted auto install the standard ones

2) A variabele like in XPInstall(now called XPlode), so that you can run your setup files from cdrom

EDIT: it seems already possible, just use no variabele

3) Some kind of way to translate the app

If you could implement those features it would be a killer app :)

EDIT: also a feature that would auto reboot windows when the installation is completed, perhaps displaying a message with why windows is rebooting and perhaps some kind of flag that sets an app as always installed and optional, the optional apps can be checked off and on, but the always installed apps have no check box.

I know I'm asking a lot but those things would really give your app my number one choice

An option to completely skip the username creation
Already available as I wrote on my site. Just use /autoinstall switch.
A variabele like in XPInstall(now called XPlode), so that you can run your setup files from cdrom

Hmm, my app can run from everywhere ... or what do you mean running from cdrom?

Some kind of way to translate the app
Just do it;) Every string that has to be translated is in string/dialog resource. Currently there are resources for english and german language. Just translate one of them (don't forget to set new version resource language). Every resource editor can be used here.
also a feature that would auto reboot windows when the installation is completed

Also already available ... is default setting (see checkbox on last page)

and perhaps some kind of flag that sets an app as always installed and optional, the optional apps can be checked off and on, but the always installed apps have no check box.

This is also possible right now. You have to add VersionData items in install.ini file. See example install.ini or at my homepage how do do it. Only that each application has a checkbox i.e. user can decide to select or deselect items. If /autoinstall is used, each component will be installed automatically where in ini file keyword default=1. One exception is if VersionData is available and version is older/equal than currently installed one. In this case component will not be installed although default=1.

Benjamin Kalytta

I tried the autoinstall feature but it still showed the username creation dialog, and the always installed apps flag, what I mean is nothing with checking the version, there are just some apps that are always installed nowether what, and then there ar som apps wich you can deselect and are optional, I don't think its the case right now but I could be wrong

Be sure to download it from my web page directly: here. Or just explain in detail what you mean with "some apps that always installed". Do you mean, software that is already installed on the computer shouldn't be installed again? If yes, this could be done with VersionData keywords. You have to specify a dll filename for example which version should be compared against the installable version on cd (is specified in VersionData.Version). If this is lower/eual than currently installed on, software will not be installed from cd by default. You could also specify a registry key which shozuld be compared.

Benjamin Kalytta

Oh, I know the problem now. Autoinstall will be turned off as soon as you move your mouse over the wihu window. May be I should turn this off. Purpose was that if a user don't enter anything application continue without user interaction. default autoinstall timeout is 10 second. (Could be specified in /autoinstall time).

May be I should turn mousemovement detection off and use keysboard press detection instead.

Benjamin Kalytta

It is tested on Windows XP only and definitively don't run on Windows 2000 or below.

Too bad. Why users still running 2K and don't want to upgrade OS (give money to m$) and can't upgrade hardware are excluded ?

XP OS stuff is builded on the NT / 2K source code with "enhancements".

@BenjaminKalytta

Could you make your utility 2K compatible or rewrite the code is definitively too hard ?