Running Ad Aware silently?

dkreifus

I am tryin to make a batch file to help with my debugging.

I want to install, update, and run adaware silently. or at least by just using the batch script.

So far, I've gotten the install, and a manual update. (I d/l the ref file in advance).

I'm having trouble making the switches work.

My code looks like this so far

"C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-Aware.exe" "C:" +a +0

The program starts, and exits immediatly.

Ad-aware.exe [Path to scan][Options] 

The first parameter must be the full path and executable name of the Ad-aware core application, the second specifies the directory or drive which is to be scanned.

If you run a batch-file from within the Ad-aware 6 Folder, you only need to specify the executable name ("Ad-aware.exe")

An example batch file could look like this:

C:\Lavasoft\Ad-aware\Ad-Aware.exe "C:\Program files\Unzip" +L:"N:\" +a +0   

The parameters have the following function:

+A: perform all automatically (scan, remove and clean)

+S: Silent mode, minimize Ad-aware during the operation

+0: don't use in-depth scan

+1: use in-depth scan

if neither +0 nor +1 is used, the last user setting will be used.

NOTE: to send parameters to an already running instance, add the +SD parameter.

The following parameters are supported by the Professional edition:

+L:"pathname" - path where the logfiles are directed to. if none specified, the path is read from the pref.ini file

+R:"refname" - path+filename to the reffile used for this scan.if none specified, the path is read from the pref.ini file

+P:"prefname" - path+filename to the preference-file (default name "prefs.ini" used for this scan.if none specified, pref.ini within the Ad-aware folder is used.

C:\Lavasoft\Ad-aware\Ad-Aware.EXE "C:\My documents" +L:"C:Logs\" +a +1 +R:"C:\testreflist.ref" +S +P:"D:\safeprefs.ini" 

This example will load Ad-aware from C:\Lavasoft\Ad-aware\Ad-Aware.EXE, scans C:\My documents in silent, full automated-mode, using indepth scan, using the following reference file : C:\testreflist.ref , loading a particular preferencefile from D:\safeprefs.ini.

From the Lavasoft forums:

In order to make any command line driven scans take place, first the default setting of 'No automated scanning' must be changed to either 'Use custom scan settings' or 'Perform smart system-scan.' These are found in the Configuration/Automation section under 'Startup scan mode.'

I have that all set up. But as soon as the window pops up, it vanishes in a second.

i have noticed when using +SD it wont popup for a second anymore. but wont do anything automatically :)

NOTE: to send parameters to an already running instance, add the +SD parameter.

ahhh i have found it.

ad-aware.exe "C:\" +A +SD +0

works fine for me

but erm... it is much slower scanning then when do it handmatically, dont know why...?

• 3 weeks later...

i installed it on a running system,

then grab all files from the installed folder to a folder

on my later dvd, and then i can run it without install it.

its fully regged and functional....

cmdow @ /HID

md %systemdrive%\temp2

xcopy programme\adaware6\*.*  %systemdrive%\temp2 /S /Y

attrib -r c:\temp2\*.* /S /D

%systemdrive%\temp2\ad-aware.exe

RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\temp2\

exit

during use it i had to copy to a temp folder,

because on a dvd or cd the files are write-protected

and some files dont let adaware running, if they are protected.

method above works fine.

• 1 year later...
Guys, these are the switches I use ONCE the app is installed to automatically start, update, scan and delete all traces of spyware, though I guess with a little thought it's possible to install it and then run the below command though for my purposes I would only be interested in the program updating itself rather than performing a scan which would involve using only the "+update" command. To have the program update itself and then exit immediately you would use both the "+update +auto" command.

Initialise, Auto Update Definitions, Full Scan, Exit
[quote]C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Aware.exe /full +update -mru +archives +auto[/quote]

Hope this helps
Marko

As an after thought, the install switch for Ad-Aware SE Professional 1.06 is simply . . .
[quote]"%systemdrive%\Install\AdAware\AdAwarePro1.06.exe" /SILENT[/quote]Therefore I guess you could install the app using the above line, then run the update using . . .
[quote]C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Aware.exe +update +auto[/quote]

I'm trying this myself to see if this will work, will re-post my findings!
Cheers

[quote name='marko2002' date='Aug 1 2005, 02:08 AM']As an after thought, the install switch for Ad-Aware SE Professional 1.06 is simply . . .
[quote]"%systemdrive%\Install\AdAware\AdAwarePro1.06.exe" /SILENT[/quote]

Therefore I guess you could install the app using the above line, then run the update using . . .
[quote]C:\PROGRA~1\Lavasoft\AD-AWA~1\Ad-Aware.exe +update +auto[/quote]I'm trying this myself to see if this will work, will re-post my findings!
Cheers
[right][post="363944"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Hmm - does fine with the install and will actually execute Ad-Aware and attempt to update it, though it prompts you when asking 'Do you want to check for updates!!'. Even pressing yes then fails with an error explaining it can't connect to Lavasoft, guess it must be something to do with the fact that Windows isn't fully loaded at this stage.

Only other option is to basically install using the above switch, then create a batch file (for the Admin) and integrate this into the Startup folder on the installation files. Please correct me if anyone else can think of anything!

Cheers
Marko

• 1 month later...
i have strange things with my silent installation of Ad-aware 1.06 :

maybe you can help me.

i use this :
[code]start /wait %CDROM%\Softwares\AdAware\ad-aware_se_1.06.exe /S
taskkill /F /IM Ad-Aware.exe /IM hh.exe[/code]

and in fact it doesn't install itself, but points to the Ad-aware installed on my 2nd HDD.
strange.

• 1 month later...

@all

Could anybody tell me how to silently install Ad-Aware 1.06 SE and the languagepack using nLite?

I'm totally new to this and haven't found anything using the search-function :(

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

cool400 B)

[quote name='cool400' post='417319' date='Nov 8 2005, 03:24 PM']@all

Could anybody tell me how to silently install Ad-Aware 1.06 SE and the languagepack using nLite?

I'm totally new to this and haven't found anything using the search-function :(

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

cool400 B)[/quote]
[url="http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641"]http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641[/url]