using MagicISO for winnt.sif

hi guys ..

i dont know if you are aware of this but it is a good timesaver if you want to make some changes after creation of your unattended iso.

i made a win2kpro cd using XPCREATE. i got it working fine in my first trial. but on my machine it took me 1hr 10mins to create.

now the problem arose when i wanted to experiment with my winnt.sif file to remove some components as well. i just did not have the patience to wait another hour.

so i tried using MagicISO to overwrite the winnt.sif file inside the iso with my modified one. it worked. the cd is still bootable and it installed perfectly. :)

it sure beats extracting boot images and setting the bootsector to 07C0 and stuff.

thanx again GreenMachine for XPCREATE.

whats the point of your post? :)

is it to mention out, that you can use MagicISO to edit an iso image? :rolleyes: Btw i recommend to use UltraISO, b/c MagicISO sometimes destroys ISO Files. And dont use the build-in-multi-boot-editor from MagicISO. You will get into problems!

the point i wanted to stress upon is that using MagicISO to edit the bootable cd is very fast & easy rather than extracting the contents of the iso, making changes and making it bootable again manually(which was how i did it earlier using the bink.nu method).

i guess people here already know that & im the last one to find out :)

but now since you mentioned, i will now try out UltraISO.

it takes me a mere 10-12 minutes to make an ISO. I use CDIMAGE to make it, and it doesn't take nearly as long. If it's just a W2k disk without any sort of menu, you should have just used the original bootsector (it's in teh XPCREATE folder, its the same for XP) and just use CDIMAGE. Set the bootsector as the bootsector, and execute and you have a perfectly bootable disk.

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/finish.htm

thanx Alanoll .. its nice info.

btw .. what i really meant that the whole xpcreate process took me over an hour to finish on my machine. and i had made an error in the winnt.sif file :)

thus, i was relieved when i was able to edit the iso and replace the winnt.sif file without going over the whole process again :rolleyes:

coming back to the point, it looks like i made a stone age post and everyone seems to know about magiciso and ultraiso .. so mods, kindly remove this topic when it deems fit.

thanx all.

Any XPCREATORS be sure and indicate that they have a bastardized ISO when reporting any bugs ...

My box is, at best, average, and I do a complete XPCREATION in about 15 minutes without packing the CAB files (for testing). Final versions take me a half an hour. Debuging corrupt files takes me forever ...

yeah GreenMachine, but why remake a whole iso when you just need to edit the existing image (faster and resting hdd :)). the problem only is, that there are programs which damage the file after editing :/

but you are right that it could be/is annoying when pplz come and say their iso file is f***ed and think its prob of xpcreate for example, when it was their iso image editor for example :/

I just make a cd from scratch to ensure no files are corrupted. The more programs you use the more variables you have which will result in a higher chance of something going wrong.

-gosh

I've never edited the ISO directly. Always recreated. Tell it to start, go get a coke, and it's done when I get back.....

Just for the love of Peet, don't use WinISO EVER! Or use UltraISO's optimize option as it does it by filenames or some wierd method. I compared the UltraISO and CDIMAGE ISOs, and UltraISO's was smaller, but more files where wrong in the ISO.

okie .. i get the hint .. im convinced!

all moderators and super members do it the manual way. guess i have to go back to the old ways too if i dont want corrupt images.

darn, these magiciso & ultraiso guys market their products so well. they really had me going for a moment. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just read through the xpcreate.bat and found the command the was used to:

create the ISO and burn the ISO and put them in seperate bat files

CDIMAGE -LXPCREATE -YD -N -H -X -OCI -M -D -Bboot\XPCTBOOT.BIN CDROOT XPCREATE.ISO

CDBURN.EXE d: XPcreate.ISO -SPEED 16

then I make my changes to the files in CDRoot. Once I get them right, I copy the changes back to FilesCD