Automatic Services

Hello All!

I just made a xpsp2 -v2096 build. For some strange reason NOT all of the Automatic services will start. I have to manual start them. There is NO regtweaks applied. This needs to be done everytime the system is reboot.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening & how to fix it?

Thanks.

Crusher,Jun 6 2004, 11:42 PM] i've got an xp2 rc1 v2096 unattend disk as well.. i haven't noticed any services not starting (i havent checked, but the machines are working perfectly)

what services don't start?

what services don't start?

A whole bunch of stuff that is set to auto. I've never seen anything like it before.

From as far as I know Error reporting & event viewer are auto and start fresh out of the box??????????? They are auto but not running!!!!! This blows me away!

you don't get messages at start-up (service not started see eventlog) ?

could be related to ICF (standard on) you need to open port 445 to view the eventlog remotely (but this should not prevent the service starting.

gr /\/\o\/\/

I've had that many times. Usually it's caused by xp hanging on a service, such as BITS or UPNP, or a service you disabled in MSCONFIG. Just wait a minute then you'll notice all the services will start. Either ignore it or use msconfig to narrow down the offending service.

-gosh

mmmm... interesting. i have an unattended xp sp1, after testing i note sometimes that some services didn't start, for example when i try to share my HD with the other local PC it says that the share services it's not active or disabled bla bla bla and after an assistant it starts again (i thought this was a bad regtweak or so), but before yesterday after installing my custom themes by a rar sfx at the end of the setup process, windows log in and it displayed a message "can't load bla bla bla theme because theme service it's not started" (?) :) reinstalled xp and the service theme started without no problems with the same cd (??) :rolleyes: xfiles?? someone can explain me it??

Maybe u rebooted that time cuz services resume their status after a reboot if tweaked -- id disabled it just wont start anyway, if manual it might start when it is needed -- when set to automatic, sytem or boot it will always start so try to configure after u're own needs. Help Service resets to automatic alone regardless of setting(even if disabled) if u run it just once :)

• 1 year later...
Having sort of the same issue here, upgraded from w2000 to win xp and after installation none of the automatice services will start
i have to start them all manually

i dont get any messages at startup that says services didnt start
and startup takes about 2 minutes ( much longer than expected)

could something have gone wrong during installation?

thank you
scott