XPCREATE

GreenMachine

Please, I would really like to eliminate the ZIP version if it is still out there somewhere. Could you PM me a link, or a link to the page, or something? I cannot find the ZIP version anywhere, and you cannot find the EXE version. I just don't understand how it is still out there somewhere. Help me understand, please.

I did not see your first post. Google snapshots are fine: as you said, the link is dead.

The second post is to a web site that appears to be that of member SteelTrepid, whom I must respectfully ask to remove my files from that server. Please, please, please, do as I do, and only link to my web site, which will always contain the link to the latest version. Please? Pretty please?

Thanks, THRiLL KiLL, for tracking that down.

As asked by frankyboy_01

Some people wants to use a M$ SUS Server or a linux/samba box on LAN to store hotfixes and service packs downloads.

My wish is to store HF, SP and IE setup and cabs on local Web Server and use my own preconfigured XPCTHLST.TXT download list from this server.

That way, i can run XPCREATE without internet connection building XP or 2K CDs.

The problem i've already mentionned : IE6SETUP.EXE SETUPURL is coded in XPCreate.cmd and download directive file use external URLs for DownloadLocation and DownloadSiteList.

Why not use variables instead stored in XPCTHLST.TXT

[IEInfo]

SETUPSIZE=B716D55795275B7F6596DE468B334FB4
CURIEPATH=SVC-PRE\IE6SP1.EXE
DownloadLocation=http://download.microsoft.com/download/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/
DownloadSiteList=http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6sp1/download/rtw/x86/ie6sites.dat

Set SETUPURL=%Downloadlocation%ie6setup.exe in XPcreate.cmd

Using this method, we can also make a md5 checksum of the downloaded IE6setup.exe (like all other downloaded HF and SP files).

Maybe GM will accept this idea on modify the code in the next future.

@GreenMachine or @Virindi

With the last version of XPCREATE, :CHECKAUTO use CURSPMD5 variable from HFLIST file to check the downloaded SP.

From the latest 2KS SP4 HFLIST file the variable defined is called CURSPSIZE.

as the file is already in my SPACKS dir, i don't download the file and md5 is not checked. I will try to delete the file and re-download to see what happens later ?

@frankyboy_01

SUS: OK if you plan to do this. Feel free to use/modify the code I sent to you via PM!

Would you like to send me your code ?

... The second post is to a web site that appears to be that of member SteelTrepid, whom I must respectfully ask to remove my files from that server. Please, please, please, do as I do, and only link to my web site, which will always contain the link to the latest version. Please? Pretty please? ...

Pretty, pretty please? ("Don't beg: you look like a dog" - J-Lo, Enough)

@Loubi: (Oui, toi!) IE6 for Win2K was added on, and not "thought out" as much as it could be. I will look into improving this code next time I pass that way. However, Windows 2000, SUS/RIS servers, etc., are, in 99% of the cases, used only in commercial environments. XPCREATE as distributed is neither intended for, nor licensed for, use in a commercial environment. As specified in the EULA accepted upon XPCREATE installation, if you plan to use XPCREATE in a commercial environment, please contact me.

On a more positive note ... thanks for the bug report!

As asked by frankyboy_01

Some people wants to use a M$ SUS Server or a linux/samba box on LAN to store hotfixes and service packs downloads.

My wish is to store HF, SP and IE setup and cabs on local Web Server and use my own preconfigured XPCTHLST.TXT download list from this server.

That way, i can run XPCREATE without internet connection building XP or 2K CDs.

(...)

Maybe GM will accept this idea on modify the code in the next future.

(...)

@frankyboy_01

SUS: OK if you plan to do this. Feel free to use/modify the code I sent to you via PM!

Would you like to send me your code ?

Hi There,

as seen in quoted posting others intend to use SUS (or equvalent local storage) of hotfixes and downloads. This brings back the issue of integrating support for first looking into the (let me call that) "local hub" and if not found there then try downloading it from the internet.

@Bilou_Gateux: I will ask GM first before posting code fragments modifying his code as he should integrate it and build a new release.

So either he will build it in or allow/disallow to share the code with you. I'll come back on you if I have his answer. OK?

@GreenMachine: As stated above I ask you to think of the possibility to use "local hub" before internet download. I would appreciate if you had another look at my code I sent to you as PM some time ago. The integration is not a great deal, only some lines of code. The code I sent to you is tested and working with my installations (W2K and XP).

If you have questions - feel free to ask me!

So long & Greetings

Frank.

... However, Windows 2000, SUS/RIS servers, etc., are, in 99% of the cases, used only in commercial environments. XPCREATE as distributed is neither intended for, nor licensed for, use in a commercial environment. As specified in the EULA accepted upon XPCREATE installation, if you plan to use XPCREATE in a commercial environment, please contact me. ...

The tools for commercial use of XPCREATE WILL NOT be distributed in a freely downloadable distribution. I understand and know that many, many users do not respect the EULA, and use XPCREATE in a commercial environment without contacting me. However, do you not feel even a tad bit guilty with such flagrant License Agreement violations, and asking for my time to make modifications to this end?

If you use XPCREATE in a commercial environment you (more specifically, your company) are/is profiting from the program. In effect, XPCREATE is either making your company money, or saving your company money. I, however, am providing you with what turns into a free service, which is in turned used for profit. That is not right ... Furthermore, you have modified the code to work as you like, which is also against my wishes, and the EULA you accepted upon XPCREATE installation.

I must express my dismay and disappointment, and admit such things make me wonder if I should be here at all ...

I will gladly consider any suggestions and improvements, as I have done in the past. I wish you, the XPCREATE users, would consider honoring the EULA.

For those interested, I can be contacted by PM, or at the email address listed in my signature.

Hi, All!

GM, as far as I can see, XPC has become a real one-click tool for creating an up-to-date Windows XP/2k CD. Great job! I should definitely update my page about XPC ;-) However, I need a clarification before I do that.

I haven't tried the new version yet. I have read this whole thread, and didn't find the definite answer to my question. I'll give some background first. I'm on dial-up, and I can tell the same about many Russian users. I never use Windows Update, and download all updates manually. Consequently, I don't need XPC's downloading abilities. I was pretty much satisfied with the previous version, although I can see the advantages of the new one. I understand how to turn off the downloading in xpcreate.ini. I thought I could run XPCREATE.CMD once, get all the directories, then place all my updates in the directories, and the second run of XPCREATE.CMD would start the slipstreaming process. However, the following statements

COMPRESS.EXE, EXPAND.EXE, MAKECAB.EXE and QCHAIN.EXE are no longer distributed with XPCREATE.

QCHAIN now required in it's downloaded form, as a hotfix installer. XPCREATE will extract the necessary files from the full download.

makes me wonder whether my approach will work. Is it a valid approach? To be more specific... Do I still need the first free utilities? Do I have to place Qchain (Q815062_W2K_spl_X86_EN.exe) in SVC-HF1? Do I need anything else to use the new version, if the downloading is OFF from start to finish?

Thanks for your attention.

Hi VAD!

You'll be fine (I hope!)

On the Current Hotfix list, it tell's you where to put the correct QCHAIN file (SVC-QCH). COMPRESS ands EXPAND have been replaced with "native" WINXP programs (such as MAKECAB, which was always there.)

I would still keep DLAUTO=YES: once you have all the files it will not download them again, but it will still check the files MD5 value, for integrity. Just a thought ...

On the Current Hotfix list, it tell's you where to put the correct QCHAIN file (SVC-QCH).

Ooops, I missed that one, sorry.

I would still keep AUTODL=YES: once you have all the fies it will not download them again, but it will still check the files MD5 value, for integrity. Just a thought ...

Ok, I'll give it a try, thanks for your reply.

@GreenMachine

Hello,

can i make u a suggestion ? Could you use 'cdrtool' rather than 'cdburn' ?

It is opensource and has more options than cdburn. The unofficial version support DVD too !

Here is an example of a shell script i use to overburn my XCREATE cd. It works well.

SET CDERASE=YES
SET CDSPEED=MAX
SET CDBURNER=3,0,0
SET CDLABEL=XPCREATE

SET OVERBURN=YES
SET RAW16=YES
SET EJECT=YES
SET VERBOSE=YES

SET BLANK=

IF "%CDERASE%"=="YES" SET BLANK=-blank=fast

IF "%OVERBURN%"=="YES" (
 SET OVERBURN=-overburn
) ELSE (
 SET OVERBURN=""
)

IF "%RAW16%"=="YES" (
 SET RAW16=-raw16
) ELSE (
 SET RAW16=""
)

IF "%EJECT%"=="YES" (
 SET EJECT=-eject
) ELSE (
 SET EJECT=""
)

IF "%VERBOSE%"=="YES" (
 SET VERBOSE=-v
) ELSE (
 SET VERBOSE=-s
)

IF "%CDSPEED%"=="MAX" (
 SET CDSPEED=
) ELSE (
 SET CDSPEED=-speed=%CDSPEED%
)

CDRECORD.EXE -dev %CDBURNER% %BLANK% %OVERBURN% %EJECT% %RAW16% %CDSPEED% XPCREATE.ISO

you can find the cdrtools kit on the web sites:

http://www.geoshock.com/cdrtools/

http://www.sbox.tugraz.at/home/t/tplank/ for the binaries

@+

Jj