ie6 Sliptstreaming into W2K

How to upgrade my windows 2000 professional SP4 MUI with ie5 to windows 2000 professional SP4 MUI with ie6

By slipstreaming mode?

I can run the ie6setup after but i think i lost space on my disc... Like SP4.

I am interested about this topic as well!

Is there a way at all to do what Mr.J!M is asking?

If IE6 SP1 could be slip-streamed into w2k SP4 somehow, it would be very helpful.

It would save on the install-time, CD-space, and unattending head-aches.

can't do :)

see quote I found from a M$-emp.

We cannot integrate IE6.0 SP1 in Windows 2000 or Windows XP installation

like Windows Service Pack. I think we can try the following methods:

1. Sysprep

Install IE6.0 SP1 on a clean Windows 2000 or Windows XP computer and then

use sysprep to duplicate the disk image. However all the clients should

have the same hard ware configurations.

Please refer to the following website about this feature:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...n-us/dnw2kmag00

/html/Sysprep.asp>

2. Unattended Installation

You can use the tool setupmgr to configure the unattended file. This tool

is included in Windows 2000 Resource Kit and Windows XP Setup

CD(Support\Tools). With this tool, we can let the computer run one command

after Windows 2000/XP is installed. We can use this command to install

IE6.0 SP1.

For more detailed information, please refer to the following article:

HOW TO: Perform an Unattended Installation of Windows from a CD-ROM

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;EN-US;q216258

How to Perform an Unattended Installation of Windows from a CD-ROM

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314459

For a detailed explanation about answer files and a list of valid parameter

values, please refer to the Unattend.doc file in the

Support\Tools\Deploy.cab folder on the Windows CD-ROM or visit the

following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...ploy/dggb_aut_c

wrh.asp

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Bob Qin

Product Support Services

Microsoft Corporation

gr /\/\o\/\/

Don't do it in RunOnceEx. I've been grappling with this since last Thursday and have found the best place to do it is in the cmdlines.txt file directly in the $OEM$ directory. Just and the command like this:

[COMMANDS]
".\ie6setup.exe /q:a /r:n"
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

This will execute during the GUI install portion at T-13 minutes. Note that the path for the command is relative to the $OEM$ directory and not %systemdrive%. This is a good spot to install IE6 because it requires a reboot anyway and so during the first autologon you can call a batch file from RunOnce.Ex.cmd to patch IE6 and OE6, specifically with Q832894, Q831167, Q837009, and while you're at it, Q329115 and Q823559. :)

hmmm...there is still going to be an error doing it that way...I install ie6 in svcpack.inf (which runs at T-12), but I still get an error message with OE6 and an identity swicth cancelled or something...Ill have to see how I do it now, or if I just run a batch file to fix OE, but there is an error in installing IE6 on W2K

just because microsoft says they don't support it doesn't mean you can't do it. Bob Qin, hmm, that sounds chinesse. Email support is handled in china, so you probably got someone in china that copied and pasted his reply to you.

I say don't waste the time trying to integrate ie. Just use iexpress to make an .exe and run it using GuiRunOnce or a similiar method.

-gosh

@thread

T-12 (svcpack.inf) is not a very good place to install software apps. It is fine with hotfixes, but not much else, since it operates outside the context of any logged-on user. Use T-13 (cmdlines) for IE/OE/WMP etc.

just because microsoft says they don't support it doesn't mean you can't do it.
That's right, in fact, who knows - they may actually have some documentation on how to integrate IE6 SP1 into w2k somewhere on technet.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Calling all the super-heroes who managed to slipstream dX9 and WMP9 into winxp SP1 to somehow give us a solution to this problem as well.

I don't "slipstream" DX9, WMP9 or IE into the install, but I get it all in from SVCPACK.INF just fine:

[setupHotfixesToRun]DOTNETFX.EXE /Q:A /R:N [DOT NET Installer]

DX9NTOPK.EXE /Q:A /R:N [DirectX OPK]

IE.EXE /Q:A /R:N [Repack IE6SP1]

IE6GO.EXE /Q:A /R:N [script to launch RunOnceEx, finishing IE install]

JS56NEN.EXE /Q:A /R:N [JScript update]

Q831167.EXE /Q:A /R:N [WININET.DLL Update]

Q832894.EXE /Q:A /R:N [iE Cummulative Update]

OE60SP~1.EXE /Q:A /R:N [OE Cummulative Update]

Slipstreaming IE is not a great saver, as the install is less than 12 MB, and there are not that many old files that could be ripped out.

Hey GM,

thanx for the quick response. Please detail what IE install cabs you retain?

Bcos my IE6 SP1 installer (after deleting win9x and XP-related files) for win2k amounts to 27 MB. Probably you could list out the files you retain after deleting the unnecessary ones.

But nevertheless, you do know why we want to slip-stream IE6 SP1 into w2k - saves on headache, incompatibility/version-conflict, time, etc.

You don't need all that. You should run the IE setup to download 2K/XP files only. 12 Mb, not more. Don't use IEAK, except to make the INS file if you are interested.

Look here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=136099

And at the bottom of this page:

http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/XPCREATE/links.htm

Download my packer here:

http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/XPCREATE/download.htm

Personally, I just stick the 2K CD in the drive, fire up XPCREATE, and let it take care of the downloading, slipstreaming and integration. Can't help it, just one lazy SOB ...

I generally only slipstream updates, not version changes, as in IE, DX, DOTNET, WMP. That is where the headaches are.

well, i havent had a problem yet installing "apps" during cmdlines.txt - in fact it is the only way I can since noone can figure out whats wrong with my svcpack.inf. The only ones I install that you seem to think I have a problem with are MDAC, DX9, MSJVM, IE6, MM20, WMP, WJV...I believe that is all...but they always install (well, minus WJV cuz I run that during runonceex). I dont see why it would be any problem at what you install during either t-13 or t-12...I was told they are virtually the same just one runs first because one always has to run first in anything you do, or they would run at the same time and might cause an error (see the logic behind it?)

@GM

sorry for repeating this, but STILL:

Please detail what IE install cabs you retain?

Probably you could list out the files you retain after deleting the unnecessary ones.

I'm sure I don't want to bother downloading this sick thing again, 'cos I already have cleaned it of unnecessary files, and have the latest version anyway (IE6 SP1).

And this one is still an out-standing request-

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Calling all the super-heroes who managed to slipstream dX9 and WMP9 into winxp SP1 to somehow give us a solution to this problem as well.