Change Paging File to specified drive automaticall

I've rebooted already? =\ I thought I stated it. Thanks though :rolleyes:.

Edit: I'm running it on VMware, and I've rebooted the virtual machine a lot of times already. Must I reboot my actual system? It doesn't make sense to me :). I can't test it out now, downloading some anime :D.

No, no need to reboot your host machine - just rebooting the VM is enough.

Check if your VM (within VPC or vmware) is cleanly shutting down - probably it is not, due to which the swap problem is appearing.

But please tell one thing - is the tweak working fine on a *REAL* machine for you?

Guest zippy

if you read the article Virtual Memory in Windows XP, take a close look at How big should the page file be? section.

Windows will expand a file that starts out too small and may shrink it again if it is larger than necessary,

.........Windows will expand a file that starts out too small and may shrink it again if it is larger than necessary,

Hey, that's only when you let windows manage the swap by itself (The "System managed size" option) - such crap won't and shouldn't happen after manually setting limits (like what ethux is trying to do here).

• 2 weeks later...

I've changed my paging file to Drive D through the registry tweak given above...what I'm wondering is: do I still need the pagefile.sys that is on Drive C ? Or can I delete that? (I haven't tried yet, so I'm assuming Windows will let me)...

Does anyone know if I need this other pagefile.sys file?

• 1 month later...

If you locate your pagefile onto any other partition, you actually lose performance. Set your pagefile to be on a different *DRIVE* (i.e., HDD) and it is beneficial.

Now, about deleting the pagefile.sys on drive C:

1. Windows necessarily wants a minimum of 2 MB swap-space (viz. page-file) on the system drive.

2. That is in order to be able to make a memory dump (when it crashes).

3. But you can still dis-regard the above directive & altogether eliminate a pagefile from C: drive.