What interest is there in Unattended Windows 9X?

I have been gathering up information on making a custom Windows 9X disc, and have not found that much. It seems that no websites on the internet are dedicated to this. I know it is not supported in WinME.

Couldn't help but notice that the unattended site here is only for XP. Is there any interest in creating an unattended site for Windows 9X?

Why would you want to work with such a crappy OS? Even if you did have a use for it, would you really need to load it more than once a year? You would spend more time creating the unattended install, then you would actual installing the normal way.

Unless you are really bored, you need to find something better to do!

But, to each his own!

:)

let's not forget INFINST.EXE for adding Drivers to the setup.

and I believe this would be a better link....

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/w...oy/batch98.mspx

I have you know, I just spent 3 days tryign to get Windows 98 to install on my computer....(old school games, that needs REAL DOS). So I still use it, and it's alot faster then XP. lol.

I totally agree with you folks.

The latest thing is not the only thing (or always the best). Millions of perfectly good PC's are scrapped each year just because their owners have been caught up in the "latest is best" marketing scam.

A good solid 800 or 900 Duron or similar is way over spec for most users (if we ignore the latest games). You can run an office suite, surf the net, use e-mail and burn CD's on a lot less.

Don't get brainwashed!

yeah I kno people, not everyone has the money to run WIndows XP on a 3 GHz machine.....geeeze....bring on 98.

I think the SLOWEST computer in my house is atleast a 1ghz. I built a spare computer out of spare parts to use as a DVD player for a TV. It's a nice 2ghz machine....

Well, i don't know about adding custom drivers to a windows 98 CD, but i know how to automate the install (and that also works for WinME)

You would just create a file called MSBATCH.INF into your Windows installation folder on your cd (like Win98 on win98 or Win9x on WinME) and place in it your infos like that:

; MSBATCH.INF
;
; Copyright (c) 1995-2000 Microsoft Corporation.
; All rights reserved.
;

[BatchSetup]
Version=3.0 (32-bit)
SaveDate=01/29/00

[Version]
Signature = "$CHICAGO$"

[Setup]
Express=1
InstallDir="c:\windows"
InstallType=1
ProductKey="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"
EBD=0
ShowEula=0
ChangeDir=0
TimeZone="W. Europe"
NoPrompt2Boot=1

[NameAndOrg]
Name="User"
Org=""
Display=0

[Network]
ComputerName="Computer"
Workgroup="Arbeitsgruppe"
Display=0

You could leave a few things away to just automate some filling, e.g. if you do this:

; MSBATCH.INF
;
; Copyright (c) 1995-2000 Microsoft Corporation.
; All rights reserved.
;

[BatchSetup]
Version=3.0 (32-bit)
SaveDate=01/29/00

[Version]
Signature = "$CHICAGO$"

[Setup]
ProductKey="XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"

You would still get all the "crap" but your Key is already typed in (good if you haven't got your serial at hand top manually type it in)

If you search for MSBATCH.INF on the inetrnet you'll definatly find infos how to customize it to your needs

I have been gathering up information on making a custom Windows 9X disc, and have not found that much. It seems that no websites on the internet are dedicated to this. I know it is not supported in WinME.

Couldn't help but notice that the unattended site here is only for XP. Is there any interest in creating an unattended site for Windows 9X?

very few ppl use Win 9x these days so its not worth the hassle.

Well I'm interested in creating an unattened win98 cd.Been trying also to make one and put it in my multiboot dvd..

At my work putters are running win98 (cause they're slow and some programs doesn't work under winxp...).

Although I think win98 is safer????

In every new worm-virus description the only uninfected os (from M$) is win9x,I think.

that's probally because they trying to phase it out, but the majority of them are going at the NT systems as they are now the predominant ones....

as for making one....

it's really simple, haven't worked with automating App installation, but driver and the msbatch.inf file is pretty simple. There also a tool on the 98 disc to make it for you, just like XP has setupmgr.exe

• 4 weeks later...

Q. What interest is there in Unattended Windows 98 + updates

A. A lot from me.....

I'm a newbie to this scripting stuff. And am currently trying to achieve same, I'd be happy to document and contribute what i've learnt.

FYI: Win98 is still very prevalent in South Africa.... esp since the cost of XP home is more than the monthly household income of about a 1/3 of the population. Therefor few people even consider upgrading.

• 3 weeks later...
Win98 is still very prevalent in South Africa.... esp since the cost of XP home is more than the monthly household income of about ........

Don't tell me people in SA haven't heard of the concept of piracy! :)

Yup, there's some interest in unattending win9x, but not very much; since it is a dying (already dead maybe) OS. But setting up a new section of the board for win9x uA installs wouldn't be a bad idea.

Aaron?