Drive Letter Problem

I'm having trouble getting windows to setup my drives with the correct letters. I've been testing this in MS VirtualPC 2004.

What I have is:

Device (0,0,0) A brand-new, blank drive, unformated.

Device (0,1,0) A current, fat32 drive with some data on it.

I want to be able to format the new drive during setup and have it set to drive C: while the older drive become drive D:

So, in my winnt.sif file, i have these relevant settings:

[Data]
   AutoPartition=0
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   UnattendSwitch="yes"
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
   Repartition="no"

[GuiUnattended]
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=35
   OemSkipWelcome=1
   ProfilesDir ="D:\Documents and Settings\"

So anyway, when I boot from cd first time, i get the parition screen, and I choose to partition the new drive as NTFS, the old drive shows up as fat32 and because Its the only partitioned drive I says c:.

After it restarts again I go back to the partition screen just to check and it says:

c: ntfs

d: fat32

with the correct drive sizes corresponding, I must be all set.

Well, doesn't work out that way. When setup finishes and I go to login, I get something like "windows could not create a temporary profiles directory" and "windows could not load your user profile - Access Denied"

Notice I have my profilesdir set to D:\Documents and Settings, and that should put the profiles on the fat32 partition.

So, if I'm an administrator it lets me login with a system profile and it shows that:

c: fat32

d: cdrom

e: ntfs

Any Ideas on what I can do here to get this to work?

I will say that I'm using dynamically expanding virtual drives, would it work better If I used a fixed sized virtual drive? I thought it was transparent, the error messages say nothing about drive space.

yeah sure it cant create any files or acces ur profile dir, b/c u said

and what a wonder, windows has no write access on your cdrom :)

im not sure what you wanna do, do you just want to use the ntfs partition as data hdd or do you want to install winxp on it?

u could set ur profiles dir to C:\docu.. b/c as u said when you login as administrator ur fat32 part. with ur profiles dir is drive lettered to C:\

if you want to clean install winxp on ur ntfs partition i recommend to disconnect ur fat32 for the setup of winxp and reconnect it when xp is installed. the ntfs partition should/must be C:\ now, b/c it was the only drive connected during install. if you connect hdds later they would never replace the C:\ letter, its 'reserved' by Windows. It would automatically get D:\ or something higher depends on what other drives are connected to ur pc. in your case it should get E:\ because ur cdrom drive was already connected, so it has drive letter d:\ (remember the ntfs partition has drive letter c:\

so u have 2 choices:

change ProfilesDir ="D:\Documents and Settings\" to ProfilesDir ="E:\Documents and Settings\" in your winnt.sif and install xp or keep it in D:\, install Windows, boot up, change drive letter from cdrom to e:\ or something higher. connect ur fat32 partition and it should automatically get drive letter D:\ which fits to your configuration.

btw, go sure to set the bios to boot from your new ntfs partition

looks like you booted from ur fat32 partition !

Thanks Tribble, I guess I'll have to disconnect the HD during install then.

I might have to disconnect the cdrom as well so it doesn't make that D:

I wish there was some way you could force windows to change this, like set the cdroms to w: and x: so they're out of the way.

looks like you booted from ur fat32 partition !

It might seem that way but oddly e: is the boot drive. - the fat32 drive doesn't even have anything on it. (in my virtual pc test setup)

Ok, tried installing with only 1 hdd (this time using VMWare trial, which has much better performance)

So now my system disk is c: but the cdrom is still d: and when I add the other disk it's e:

:-(

What I did was boot first time (textmode) to set up partition without the 2nd disk. Then when it restarted I shutdown the machine and installed the second disk, then started the machine.

I actually tried taking the cdrom offline but apparently setup still needs stuff from the cd during GUI Mode, so it restarted and I had to add the cdrom again.

I'm thinking It would be easier to set the profile directory to the sytem drive (c:) then move the profile directory after I install.

I'm not exactly sure how to do this. I know that you can change some settings in the [.../profilelist] key but I actually tried doing that with my previous tests (using e: for the 2nd hdd) and it didn't work.

So how would I go about moving the profile directory after install?

change ProfilesDir ="D:\Documents and Settings\" to ProfilesDir ="E:\Documents and Settings\" in your winnt.sif and install xp

u tried this? b/c u said the cdrom was set to d:\ again and when u connected ur fat32 hdd it was set to e:\ .. this should work.

@proneax

the driveletter problem is only while installing, after the OS is set-up,

you can change the driveletters with windisk (disk management)

(do this before you do/install anything else)

you can fist set the CD to Z: then D: is free again and you can use that for the second disk

gr /\/\o\/\/

gr /\/\o\/\/

the whole problem was that the drive letter weren't set up properly when windows was putting stuff in 'all users' during installation.

What i finally ended up doing was using a boot program called Bootit-ng to set up an ntfs partition (not formated)

Then when I booted into setup it recognized the ntfs disk as c: (it was device 0) and the fat32 as d:

I also used the "slide" function of Bootit-ng to align the clusters on my fat32 drive so I could convert to NTFS without getting the 512byte clusters that you usually get. It worked great and my clusters are 4k.