SATA driver needed or not?

I'm trying to slipstream SATA drivers into an unattended install CD of Windows XP pro. The motherboard is an Intel PX865PE Pro (82801EB ICH5) with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA drive, model number ST380013AS. Windows doesn't appear to be using an MSD driver, just the usual 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller.

I'm a bit confused, I'm not sure if I even need to install a separate SATA driver for this system. The system came preinstalled, with no specific mass storage device driver CD, only the usual motherboard driver CD.

Maybe it doesn't need an MSD driver because the mobo doesn't have a RAID

device?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

NS

Yeah, Sata drivers can get confusing. But i'll try to clear it up. There are 3 scenarios that they come into play

1)sata intergated in your chipset (in your case PX865PE Pro (82801EB ICH5))

and you have a single, or 2 drives hooked up (no raid), you dont need to load

any additinal drivers.(other than the intel chipset drivers)

2)sata RAID intergrated in you chipset (ich5 has raid0 option) which you will have

to either intergrate the raid drivers onto the cd for text mode setup or load from

a floppy (usually there is a floppy creator on the cd)

3)3rd party sata/sata raid controller intergrated on the board but not in the chipset

which you will have to either intergrate the raid drivers onto the cd for text

mode setup or load from a floppy.

Dahak

with the ICH5 and ICH5R Intel chipsets (south bridge), you only need to load the driver if you are running RAID... if you only have a single drive, or two drives seperately without RAID, the ICH5 and ICH5R emulates IDE support and you need no driver (I've tested this on my ABIT IS7-G and it works fine)...

if you are running RAID with your ICH5R south bridge, you need the iaStor driver integrated:

1) make a folder $OEM$\$1\Drivers\iaStor

2) copy your drivers into this directory (off your mainboard floppy disk, need all the files in the directory containing iaStor.sys)

3) makecab iaStor.sys iaStor.sy_

4) move iaStor.sy_ to your I386 directory

5) edit winnt.sif, add the drivers path "Drivers\iaStor" to your OEMPnPDriversPath

6) edit txtsetup.sif, add the following near the bottom (not after the OEF character which looks like a little square, has to be before this):

[SourceDisksFiles]
iaStor.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

[SCSI.load]
iaStor = iaStor.sys,4

[SCSI]
iaStor = "Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller"